First cin review

Boobop16

First cin review

Post by Boobop16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:45 pm

So the letter arrived today, first cin review on the 11th. What do I need to do to prepare? No agenda sent. Complicating factor is the consultant sw I made a formal complaint about 6 years ago for her inappropriate relationship with a 16 year old boy is the lead on the meeting. I'm sure she won't remember me but I know she is not professional. My daughter is swinging from refusing to go ,to her leading and taking control of the meeting and telling her to leave her alone. My daughter wants to phone them and tell them she doesn't want the YSS worker there. I'm scared and don't know what to do. Has anyone been through this? What happens at a first review? My daughter is an extremely intelligent, articulate 16 year old who is apt at expressing herself but they don't seem to get that, they even questioned whether she would get to do a levels when she is a straight a student. Any advice?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: First cin review

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:19 am

Hello Boobop16

Thank you for your further post.

I see that you will be having a child in need review very soon. The purpose of the review if really to see how the plan has been working and if there is any further support that might be needed. If all is well it could be decided that the plan is no longer needed and the case closed.

Regarding the social worker who is the lead professional, this person should be professional in dealing with your case but if you have any concerns then you could object. If she has been involved from the start, there will be a question as to why you did not raise an objection earlier. In any event, you do not think this person will remember you, if you consider there is an issue for you then it is for you to make the decision whether to object or not.

May I suggest that you read our advice sheet about family support which is here. Look at page 13 which explains what the child in need plan should include and other information.

Your daughter is 16, as previously stated it is important that she should be on board for decisions being made about her. You describe her articulate so it might be best for her to attend the meeting to express her wishes and feelings. No plan can work if she is unwilling to cooperate. Perhaps you could suggest that the social worker or youth worker concentrate on developing a positive relationship with your daughter if she is to benefit from any support being offered.

The advice sheet gives a lot of information about child in need, so please do read it to get a better understanding of your situation.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, feel free to telephone our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Boobop16

Re: First cin review

Post by Boobop16 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Many thanks Suzie

The social worker hasn't been involved at all, she has never met my daughter. The meeting is supposed to be just me, my daughter, sw and youth worker, but my daughter insists her 25 year old brother attends. So the meeting will be us, a person she has never met and a person she has met 2 times. The youth worker last time asked my daughter not to speak in such long words because the YW did not understand them. The meeting is to be held at the local youth club as my daughter said she didn't want any more strangers coming to the house. Should we have been sent an agenda? I have read the policies on cin for about 15 authorities but our LA's is not online they just have a very vague statement with lots of pretty graphics. So far no support has been offered at all, despite specific request by us for counselling, referral to Winston's Wish (children bereavement charity) etc. all that they have done is question her on where she will be and when and what she talks about with her brother (big age gap means they are very close as nothing to argue about.

It is now 5 and 1/2 months of this and I only found out she was on a cin because there was 1 line on the report. My daughter is an accomplished public speaker and won the regional public speaking completion, at age 7 she interviewed the head teacher of indie schools we were looking at so she is very articulate and confident in speaking to professionals.

I've been to cin reviews for the aforementioned 16 year old boy, but they involved about 20 people, we all had an agenda etc. this all seems a bit woolly, or am I expecting to much? I just don't want something sprung on us that we weren't expecting. Thank you so much for your help. There is just me, my son and my daughter, we don't have an other family and my son has been amazing. Thank you again.