Help

Steph08

Help

Post by Steph08 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi all well new on here at min ive five kids in care ive 2 on long term foster care and my 3 young ones looking for some addoted them snd ive also just had my baby girl who in temp foster care as u coukd nir court to fight for her as u was still hosptail so due bk in court on 17 aug scince my other kids went ive changed im scared om going lose my bsby girl but want get her bk so fight for my othets as dont lose any my kids looking prople who got kids bk or any advise plz as this hurting me feel like let my kids down

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Dear Steph08

Welcome to the Family Rights Group Parents’ Discussion Forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am so sorry that you are feeling scared and worried that you may lose your baby to care as you have had your other 5 children removed from your care.

You do not say how long ago the children were removed and care orders made for them or in the case of the youngest 3 care and placement orders. In your post you do say that you have changed since the other children left your care. I do not know what concerns children services had regarding your care of your children, but if as you say, you have changed and the same concerns no longer exist, then children services should assess you as you are now. If there has been significant changes then it will be for the court at the final hearing to make a decision about whether or not your youngest child can be safely looked after by you.

Regarding whether or not your children could return to your care will depend, in respect of the children in long term foster care, whether you have made significant changes and addressed the concerns that led to them been taken from your care. You should read the judgment given at the time to see the reasons the judge did not think you could provide safe care for them.

As far as the youngest 3 are concerned, if they are placed for adoption and adoption orders made then, legally they would no longer be your children. The adoptive parent(s) would be legally the children’s parent and have parental responsibility for them. Please read our advice sheet relating to adoption and what it means for birth parents. You would no longer share parental responsibility as you do for the children in long term foster care. If the children were not placed for adoption after a long time in care, you could consider seeking leave of the court to ask for the placement order to be discharged. The same would apply in respect of your ability to care and whether significant changes have been made. In both situations, children services and the children’s guardian would be involved in any application you make to discharge the care orders and placement orders. You would need to carefully consider your ability to care for all of your children as this is something that might be an issue. You would also need to show that you continued having a significant amount of contact with the children as well. A copy of our advice sheet about this is here for your information.

Our advice sheet relating to the duties that children services has to children in the care system will give your more detailed information in respect of the children in long term foster care and what you can expect from children services.

Although it might be difficult for you, it may be best for you to concentrate at the moment on the possibility of having your baby back in your care. I do not know the concerns that children services have regarding your parenting but it is very important that you work with children services and cooperate with any assessment or other intervention which they consider is necessary for you to do so.

Your solicitor will be able to advice you on the specific details in your case and you should work closely with your solicitor who is best placed to advise you about the ongoing care proceedings. I have included here a copy of our advice sheet relating to care proceedings for you to read.

It must be very hard for you to be without your children but it does depend on the reasons it was not thought appropriate for them to be with you, as this may be because of reasons, not necessarily of your making. This will not make it any easier for you but try not feel that you have let them down. Do try and concentrate on what you need to do now to hopefully have your baby back with you.

You may wish to speak to an adviser and you can do so by telephoning our free confidential advice line. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie