What happens with a cpp for a 16 year old?

Boobop16

What happens with a cpp for a 16 year old?

Post by Boobop16 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Ok my child is currently on a Cin and as per my previous topic, does not want to be.

I am worried that if she and or I refuse it will be escalated to a cpp.

What happens with a cpp? How long does it take? Can they force my daughter to talk to them? Can they make me do medicals/hair strands etc (I would be over the average 7 unit threshold but have already told them this, never touched any other substance in my life).

I read somewhere that they don't do cpp for 17 year olds, is that true? She is 16 and 5 months at present. Still no word from them more than 3 weeks since last contact so a meeting before September will be impossible as we are visiting friends in August and then she is away with a friend for 9 days, then she goes straight in to start 6th form in September.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What happens with a cpp for a 16 year old?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Dear Boobop16

Thank you for posting again.

As previously advised, your daughter is 16 and the social worker should take into account her wishes and feelings in respect of any plan in place. She does not have to engage so it is important that the social worker ensures that whatever is being suggested for your daughter is explained and they work together cooperatively to ensure that she gets the most from the support being provided. Your daughter cannot be forced to speak to anyone but the more she resists the more concern there will be for her lack of engagement.

I think it is important that your daughter express her views clearly about why she does not feel the need to be on a plan. She is old enough to be invited to meetings which are making plans about her. If she does not wish to attend that her written views can be provided to the meeting.
The issue of hair strand testing or far as I recall, has not been mentioned in your posts before and if this is something that you have been asked to do, then I suggest that you cooperate with this. Is there concerns about your alcohol use and is this something that children services has asked you to address? Does the social worker think you are encouraging your daughter to say she does not wish to be on a child in need plan because you do not want to engage yourself?

It would be advisable for you to inform children services of your daughter's and your availability of the holiday period as you do not want it to be said that you are failing to cooperate.

Regarding your question about child protection plans and 17 year olds, for safeguarding purposes the law consider a child to be anyone under 18, so your daughter could be put on a child protection plan. Children Services would not normally issue care proceedings where a child is 17 but this will depend on the child’s specific circumstances.

Our advice sheet about child protection procedures will give you more details and I have included a copy for you to read.

If you would like to speak to an adviser, feel free to telephone our free advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Boobop16

Re: What happens with a cpp for a 16 year old?

Post by Boobop16 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks Suzie

My daughter told them she did not want anything to do with them 4 weeks before I had any contact with her. Her reasoning being they are unreliable, she was told she would get access to counselling and work on self esteem following some friendship issues. None of this has been forthcoming so my daughter asked me to talk to the college to arrange counselling once she starts and she already has her first meeting set up. (I used to be director of a college so knew they would have good services in place).

There has been no suggestion of hair strand testing etc. yes I drink more than I should, particularly at times of stress which of course the last few months have been, in addition to the issues with my daughter I had my wedding anniversary, the anniversary of my husbands death and my baby nephew die from the same very rare type of cancer as my husband.

My concern is that they will think I am influencing my daughter when I am not. I have engaged fully and have explained to my daughter that even if she doesn't want to meet with them I will have to. They are not social workers they are youth workers. My daughter has said that the only one she is willing to meet is the youth workers boss, whom she liked, said didn't make her feel put down and in my daughters words behaved like a professional.

The YSS worker has every detail of our life and where we will be and when. I had to give up my mobile phone as I couldn't afford it but she has my email address and I check my email 4/5 times a day for anything from her. She also has my daughters mobile number so she can access her separately. The only exception to this is that we are heading off two days early to my friends this week as he is going ask his girlfriend to marry him at a surprise party tomorrow. I haven't been told any "I can'ts/ must nots" by them