Inappropriate chats with my children by FSW/SW

charmed1

Inappropriate chats with my children by FSW/SW

Post by charmed1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Hello everyone. I'd like your views/advise please. I am very concerned that both the social worker and family support worker have been pre empting the conclusion following a CP medical both my children underwent by talking to them about being put into foster care! My children are both very young. Both under the age of 9. My daughter has special needs. I was called and asked for consent for S.20 voluntary accommodation and agreed a maximum of 72 hours. I had got legal advise first before agreeing. Is it ok for a child to be warned that they may not be going home to their parents by social work professionals? They both came home that same day but it's now reported that they have been withdrawn and my daughter's behaviour has deteriorated and I believe it's the result of being scared about being taken away. What can these people say to your children and what can I complain about?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Inappropriate chats with my children by FSW/SW

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Dear charmed1

Thank you for your further post.

I am sorry that you are feeling concerned about what the social and family support workers have said to your children.

You said in your post that you agreed to s.20 voluntary accommodation, this would suggest that the social worker had to explain to the children that they may be going into foster care. It is important for the children to have an explanation or what is happening to them. It may have been premature as they actually remained at home but because the possibility of s.20 accommodation, it was considered appropriate to inform them.

I understand that you are not happy about this and suggest that you might want to make contact with the social worker’s team manager to inform him or her of your concern. Explain that you believe the children have been badly affected by what they were told; that there was no reason at the time to give this information as it had not been decided that the children would not return home at that time.

In your post you say that it has been reported that the children are withdrawn and your daughter’s behaviour has deteriorated. It is not clear who has reported this, is it coming from their school?

If you wish to complain you can do this informally by doing a letter to the team manager and ask for a full explanation as to why the social worker took the decision to speak to your children in this way prematurely. As far as the support worker is concerned, you could make contact with his or her employer to complain about the action taken.

A copy of our advice sheet is for here your information should you decide to make a formal complaint.

Hope you will find this helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie