21 weeks and no news

Hollz84

21 weeks and no news

Post by Hollz84 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi

I have posted before for advice but now I'm back for a little more. I posted before about having 3 children removed from care and I'm now pregnant with my 4th.

I took the advice I was given here and contacted the LA of the area I'm now living in (different from the LA that removed my children). I informed them of my pregnancy the same date I got advice from here. They took my name and details and as I hadn't had my first appointment with my midwife at that point they said they would wait for that.
I then contacted them straight after my first appointment with midwife on Nov 26th last year. Again they took all my details and asked for more information about my children and the concerns the other LA had I was open and honest and gave all the information they asked for. The LA then contacted me again in the first few days of December to check some details with me and I've heard nothing since then. No letters or calls. I have had a midwife appointment last month and checked with her and she said she'd sent the referral to them. I'm 21 weeks now and thought we would of heard something. I know the other LA have been contacted by the LA here as I went to see my children on the 15th of this month and my eldest daughter informed me she knew I was pregnant which I'm guessing she would of only heard from her SW. Which has annoyed me a little as I would of liked to have been the one to tell her and talk to her about it. So I'm wondering where I should go from here really?

I would also like a little advice on what to do about my old SW. And I don't want to make this too much longer. The SW for my daughter seems to be a bit of a joke really. She's hard to get hold of for information. She never offers any support at all. My mother and sister are fighting for contact with my eldest child and this SW has told them it would upset my daughter to seen them. But SW has recently deemed it fit for her to see her younger sister that she has never met. I personally would of thought this was more upsetting for her! Then seeing her nanny and aunt who have been there all along. Numerous complaints have been made to the LA complaints department each one has had a response basically saying we have no complaint. And it's not just myself and people involved complaining about this particular SW. Even a complaint to the local council ended with nothing. The SW is rude and unresponsive when you would like things from her but if it's the other way round and you don't respond when she clicks her fingers all hell breaks loose. By LA own guidelines they say they support keeping families and bonds together yet I would this particular LA is happy to not bother with all that. What can I do to help in this matter for my motherland sister? They feel they are being brushed aside.

Thank you for reading.

Minnie

Re: 21 weeks and no news

Post by Minnie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:43 pm

My family are having similar issues with been able to see my girls, my family have been told get legal advice to see them. It has been agreed that the extended family can see them once a month,waiting for confirmation in the Lac review. I don't know what arrangements that your children are accommodated,my are accommodated under section 20 and I'm on the lowest amount of contact with my girls because I also have nightmare sw. Mine should be increasing shortly.

Hollz84

Post by Hollz84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:00 am

My contact stands as six times a year. For an hour. Works out during holidays and half terms. My mum and sister have gone to seek legal advice now as seems their only choice. I think it's the frustration of trying to work with this SW. If your doing what she wants she's fine. But if you form and opinion of your own or make a suggestion it's wrong and unacceptable. She then becomes a nightmare to work with.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Dear Hollz84

Thank you for posting again and I am sorry that you have still not had any clear information regarding what Children Services intends to do after you notified them of your pregnancy.

It must be very frustrating for you. I suggest that you put in writing to Children Services your concern that they have not been in touch and ask them to give you an indication of what steps, if any, they are proposing regarding your unborn child. I suggest that you point out that you are now 21 weeks pregnant and would not want them to get to the point where they say they do not have enough time to carry out an assessment prior to your baby’s birth. Ask for a written response and keep a copy of your letter. You may need these later on.

Usually, Children Services wait until at least 20 weeks plus before making a decision about a situation like your but from your point of view, it would have been helpful if they told you clearly what would be happening.

If they consider that your baby is at risk, then the likelihood is that they will have a child protection conference for the unborn baby. This could lead to the baby being put on a child protection plan. There would also be a pre-birth plan as to what is going to happen up to and including when your baby is born. Please see our advice sheet on child protection procedures here.

If your mother and sister wish to have contact and this is not happening then they could consider making an application for contact to a child in care. Our advice sheet relating to this is here for further information.

I note you say that numerous complaints have been made but I am not sure if these were formal complaints. A copy of our advice sheets relating to making complaints and challenging decisions is here for your information. You should contact your child’s Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) about contact. The IRO is responsible for ensuring your child’s welfare and that the care plan is being followed. Do you attend Looked after Child reviews, (LAC), this is the place to raise the issue of contact as well.

If you believe the Social Worker is unprofessional and rude then you can contact his or her team manager. It might be better to ask for a meeting so you can explain the concerns you have and see how these can be resolved. It is also possible for you to make a complaint about the social worker to her professional body the Health and Care Professions Council

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Murray72

Post by Murray72 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:28 am

Dear Hollz,

What are the ages of the children and how do they feel about increased contact with Mum? I ask this because when my contact was reduced to 6 times a year my Child became so distressed and upset she confided in a teacher and broke down at school, this was reported at the Lac review and it was decided it was detrimental to her so it never actually happened, it was increased once again to monthly and things carried on. Do you attend all the Lac review's?