Will my childs care be decided at ICPC?

Mum2Three

Will my childs care be decided at ICPC?

Post by Mum2Three » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:30 pm

As the title suggests I want to know if my daughters living arrangements will be decided at an upcoming ICPC.

To summarise the situation, I was not allowed to take my youngest child home with me after a medical at the hospital because I had been accused of causing a cigarette burn to her (something I absolutely deny) and she was put into the care of mother in law.

After a section 47, it has been decided that there is a need for an ICPC, which I suspected anyway, but what I really want to know is if the care arrangements for my daughter will be decided at that meeting.

I have asked my social worker but she has been the same as usual, vague and elusive, and won't give me a straight yes or no answer, just keeps telling me to wait for the meeting. I really really really want her home, it's killing me her not being here and I just want to know what will happen. I have been through several ICPC's over the course of the years with my eldest, who has behavioural problems, but I have never had a child removed from my care so this one is different from the rest and I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks to anybody who replies

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Will my childs care be decided at ICPC?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Dear Mum2Three,

Welcome to the Parents Forum,

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has suffered an injury which might be a cigarette burn. It must be very distressing for you and you will no doubt be anxious that this is investigated properly by children services. I also assume the police will be carrying out their own investigation as well.

While the investigation is ongoing, you have agreed that your daughter is accommodated and placed with her grandmother. I think you made the correct decision by allowing this.

If you had not, children services may have asked the court for an order to give them parental responsibility to make decisions about your daughter including where she lives.

For more information about the court orders children services can seek, please see our advice sheet about care proceedings.

Once the assessment has been completed, then children services will be in a better position to make decisions about her safety including contact and where she lives.

Will decisions about where your daughter lives be made at the conference?

The answer to your question is no.

The only decision that should be made at an initial child protection conference is whether or not your daughter is to be made subject to a child protection plan or not.
The decision will be made after reading the reports and listening to all the professionals (her social worker, representatives from the police, health and school) invited to the conference.
If there is evidence that your daughter has suffered significant harm, or is likely to suffer significant harm in the future the she will be made subject to a child protection plan which will be reviewed within 12 weeks.

Have a look at our FAQ’s about child protection and
film..

I hope the information I have directed you to helps.

Please post back if you need further advice or call ourt advice line for indepth support on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie