Children in care moving

Their mum

Children in care moving

Post by Their mum » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Well, as per my previous posts, the outcome of our LAC was that I now see my children once a fortnight, whereas it used to be once a week. I don't know what I've done wrong to deserve this cut in contact and my children always seem pleased to see me. I've been told that from September contact will most likely be cut to once a month. How can I appeal against this decision?

Another thing, which I suspect is connected, is that the foster carers are wanting to move away from the area, from NW England to the south Midlands. Obviously I wouldn't be able to see them so much then, unless I also move. What really concerns me though is their education. My eldest has just left school and will be at college and my youngest is currently at the end of Year 8. Depending how long it takes to sell the house, it may be that the move comes in his GCSE years, which I understand moving is discouraged at that time.

Any help?

Murray72

Re: Children in care moving

Post by Murray72 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Their Mum,

It sounds like the long term plan for the children "is no return home" this was the case with my child (the situation is different now) they are reducing your contact slowly but eventually it may be as little as 6 times per year. As your children are older they must have their opinions and wishes for the future taken into consideration. The IRO has to speak with them and listen to them prior to the LAC review, they have a say now in what happens.

If your not happy with the IRO then write to them and outline your concerns they have strict guidelines and hold a lot of power in the lac reviews.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Children in care moving

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Dear Their mum

Thank you for posting again on the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

In your post you say that your contact is being reduced to fortnightly and possibly once a month. This decision was made at the LAC review. As your children are subject to Care Orders and the Local Authority has parental responsibility they can make decisions about contact and where the children will live.

If Children Services decide to change the care plan for your children this should not be done without it being considered at a review. Children Services should take into account your views and those of your children when making decisions about contact or other arrangements. Children Services have to consider whether the decision being made is in the children’s best interests and safeguard their welfare.

You say the foster carers intend to move away it is good that the children will remain with them as this will provide continuity of carers. Children Services could, if the move does take place, assist you with travel expenses to see the children but if there is no plan for them to return to your care, it may be that Children Services are taking the view that it would be best for the children for there to be reduced contact. I suggest that you consider taking the advice given by Murray72 and contact the children Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO). When making contact it would be better to do so in writing and set out the concerns that you have for your children.

I have included here a copy of our advice sheet about the duties that Children Services have when a child is in the care system. This will give you more information about education and contact and how they should be dealt with. It is true that a move should not take place if possible where a child is about to do examinations. Obviously, the whole situation will need to be considered and if the foster carers are moving this might be an important factor in the decision making process.

Page 28 of the Advice sheet explains how you can challenge Children Services’ decision if you believe they have acted wrongly without taking account of what is best for your children in respect of contact. You can also consider making an application to the court for a contact order if you are not happy with the amount of contact you are having.

A copy of our advice sheet about contact with a child in care is here for your further information.

You may wish to speak to an Adviser on our advice line. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
I hope you find the information helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie