CBT therapy

Knowledgeispower

CBT therapy

Post by Knowledgeispower » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi, I was reading your post on completing therapy for child care proceedings which are usually out of courts timescales. Well I am a mother of two in a similar situation my two children have been made subject to care and placement orders, due to a psychologist diagnosing me with impulsive sensation seeking personality traits, requiring therapy of 6- 12 months. I have recently found out I am pregnant again and I am due to undertake CBT therapy, however I am unsure of which practitioner to engage with. Psychologist have quoted me 60pound a session, whereas registered counsellor and psychotherapists have quoted at about 20 pound a session. I want to make sure after my therapy, I will be able to have a credible report from my therapist updating the court of my progress. Can you recommend which route would be best for me to take?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: CBT therapy

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Dear knowledgeispower,
Welcome to the parents forum. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I am sorry to hear that your older children were made subject to care and placement orders. It must have been very difficult for you to experience this loss.
At the time, you agreed that the Threshold criteria had been met and there were expert reports that said that you needed therapy within a timescale that was too long for your children. You were also in a difficult relationship with the children’s father.

However, things have changed so much since then. You are about to start therapy but you are unsure whether it is the most affective one.
I can see that Wharthhog has given you a lot of really helpful advice.
What type of therapy does the psychologist report suggest? If there are no suggestions, you could contact the psychologist directly for recommendations. Children services will have their own referral routes as well.
Rethink can also advice about the types of therapy that might be available for your diagnosis and I believe also have information about centres of excellence.
Often when proceedings are close together, the court may approve parents going back to the same expert for re assessments (as happened in wharthhogs case).

Can you also read through the courts judgment-to check that all other possible concerns need to be addressed. You mention an unsuitable father? Is he still in the picture? Does any action have to be taken in relation to him? Or would dad’s assessment be positive? If it is, this would be another factor in your favour. Look at our information about assessments.

It is a good move to self- refer to children services. It will hopefully make the point that you want to cooperate with their pre birth assessment and gives you time to complete any other support that they think may be helpful.
It is possible that (given the history of care proceedings,that children services will push to place your unborn baby on a Child protection plan. This will allow them to monitor and also provide support to you.
You are worried about timescales as well. The children act states that delay can be detrimental to children’s welfare. However, I understand that your therapy may well nearly be completed. Children services are likely to want an assessment of your well being before any decision is made to remove your baby. Removal will only be ordered by the court at an interim order level, if your baby is at imminent risk of serious harm.
What about yours and dads friends and family network? You could ask for a
family group conferences.
to look for support within your network and to family find-in case the proceedings go against you and to avoid your baby being adopted.
best wishes,

Suzie

Knowledgeispower

Post by Knowledgeispower » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi Suzie thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have actually now found a integrative psychotherapist who offers CBT therapy in her model of work. She is also well accustomed to social services often bring ask to attend child protection meetings.

My current pregnancy is with a new partner, although I have enquired about starting the freedom programme: A domestic violence awareness group just so I can be certain, I wont find myself unknowingly a victim of a emotionally abusive relationship again.

I have my mother who would put herself forward to be a potential carer of my baby although she was ruled out in the final hearing for not understanding concerns and therefore she could put the children at risk'. My mother was the one who actually contacted social services with concerns over my parenting as I was living at home with her at the time, my mother has also worked in school for over 20 years and has a safe guarding certificate.

I'm hoping I have covered all bases, the new father does not want to be involved in the childs life stall, we were not in a relationship so I know none of his family

Knowledgeispower

Post by Knowledgeispower » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Also the other concerns were . Me not engaging with professionals, me not being open and honest with professionals

warthhog123

Post by warthhog123 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi
The freedom program is very good if you engage and recognize abuse. Also breaking free staying safe is another course but depends on area.
Been open and honest is absolutely paramount as thats why i lost my son. Get Therapy asap but please dont take offence Therapy is bigger than keeping your children its about learning about your self and the choices you make its very hard and painful and you really have to work extremely hard.
If your life has changed and you are doing all you can then that is positive but what are they saying is the risk??
It sounds like your on the right track and that sort of therapist is same as one i had and if you engage and work hard then you should get credible report but they will still ask for report from first assessor regardless.
The only thing not on your side is time.... court time. i wish you all the luck and here if need anything x

Knowledgeispower

Post by Knowledgeispower » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi warthog,
Thank you for the useful advice.
The psychologist who assessed me has said I will need a solicitor to instruct him on a second assessment, is it possible I will definitely need a second assessment from the same psychologist as he assessed me back in January 2013

warthhog123

Post by warthhog123 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:21 pm

I can not be 100% but judge and social ordered i have same assessor. whether you need a second assessment im not sure but i had to have one in order to prove i could safeguard my son and prove i had addressed past issues. xx

Knowledgeispower

Post by Knowledgeispower » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi warthog,

I'm hoping I can choose a different psychologist to provide me with a second assessment this time around, I'm hoping to engage in therapy and then get a assessment sometime in April