unsupervised and supervised contact

Mama R

Re: unsupervised and supervised contact

Post by Mama R » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Oh wow I thought Jan this year! That's even worse, I'd be asking for a review of the case & access to their files, do you have a good relationship with careers (is it still your parents? ) could you find out if there's anything going on with your son, bullied at school possibly? Maybe if he was given support/councillors they'd be able to find out what's bothering him, LA forget that by taking children from their parents they often cause emotional damage to the chold & without support to work through their emotions their behaviour will obviously deteriorate. Because you've no order it's going to be down to you to kick LA into touch, make it clear (calmly & preferably with a witness with you) that your not happy with the situation & unless they deal with it properly & keep you informed & engage with you (that's their favourite term, use it against them lol) you'll be making an application to the courts, doesn't matter that you don't know what application to make, they don't know that you don't know. The biggest problem with LA is they back people into a corner & makeyring them think they have no options, btw although you can't get legal aid you can make court application & ask for fee's to be waved if your on a low income, just ask for the form for exemption from fee's when you collect whichever form's you need one you know which ones xx

Post by 1234 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

The relationship with my mum has broken down completely, however I do still talk to my dad. He doesn't seem to share the concerns of children's services, as in addition to the unsupervised contact multiple times in a week, I also attend swimming galas with him in which my two boys compete, which I have continued to do so this month. He has each time left me alone with one of both boys at these galas whilst going to the supermarket to get food, park the car over 10 mins away etc.
I have requested a copy of everything they have on record, on June 2nd, and finally today received copies of their current care plans which actually state I was consulted in their creation, and do not reflect the change in contact arrangements. My eldest son's problem is he wants to come home, and no one is listening to him. Children's services have told him he cant come live with me because a) only he is expressing he wishes to return to my care, and they will not split up siblings, b) my house is not of an appropriate standard (how anyone can pass judgement without actually viewing my home I do not know) c) I am mentally ill (not an opinion supported by the doctors, I was discharged in March 2013) d) they have been in my parent's care for over three years now, it has been too long and what can I suddenly offer that he is not getting from his grandparents.
I am aware I can make the application without solicitors :) as that is what I did last time, and it actually went in my favour and the solicitors contacted me to say they could help. I am waiting for them to get back to me now, but I think regardless I have been waiting for over a month, I haven't seen my daughter all that time and she is only 5, the longest we haven't seen each other has been two weeks and we had telephone communications as she was poorly with chicken pox. It is also her birthday in just a few weeks, but I will have to wait to see her :( I dread to think the effect all of this is having on them, but I don't even know if I am allowed to phone them or send letters etc. I have gone from seeing her twice a week to nothing so suddenly.

Mama R

Post by Mama R » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on these things but in the last 3 year's I've learned an awful lot, as far as I understand thing's LA are legally bound to uphold reasonable contact with parents where it's possible, they can say it must be supervised when the contact is at their discretion which is what it sounds like in your case, but they are not engaging with you, falsified record's are no surprise, are the children still under a court order? Xx

Post by 1234 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on these things but in the last 3 year's I've learned an awful lot, as far as I understand thing's LA are legally bound to uphold reasonable contact with parents where it's possible, they can say it must be supervised when the contact is at their discretion which is what it sounds like in your case, but they are not engaging with you, falsified record's are no surprise, are the children still under a court order? Xx

From what I understand, they are supposed to consult myself before LAC reviews and changing care plans, especially when it comes to changing my contact so dramatically - up to 2x weekly unsupervised to suddenly less than 1x month supervised! Yes they are still under a full care order, hence why children's services are the ones pulling the strings re my contact. in addition to those regular contacts, they are also stopping my attendance at things such as class assemblies and swimming galas, which I attend alongside my dad. So you can see I was seeing my children very regularly, so to go from that to this uncertainty, especially as still after a month of no contact she still can't give a definitive answer as to when exactly I will be seeing them again :( My issue isn't necessarily whether it is supervised or not, I couldn't care less who else is there as long I see my children regularly, but they are constantly (or at least were constantly) going on about how contact need to be regular, consistent, couldn't be changed last minute etc to provide stability and routine, and now it seems all of that has gone out the window and no one has any idea what is going on nor when it is going to be sorted!! :(

Mama R

Post by Mama R » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh yes the children's need for stability & a good relationship with family only apply when it's used as a stick to beat you with, they couldn't care less when it's them wanting to change thing's, I don't know if it would apply to your situation or not but I know of sombody who a year ago applied to the court to 'discharge the care order' which was in place over her son (LA plan was long term foster with 2 hour's supervised contact every 3 weeks) 2 week's ago was the final hearing, LA agreed to send him home following a rehabilitation plan of 16 weeks (he's been out of her care for 3 yrs now so it takes time) then a further 12 week of support when he's home full time before completely closing the case. They were doing the same things to her & not upholding their responsibilities to her child as a child in their care, which was what gave her grounds for the court action. If nothing else it could get you into a courtroom where you can insure you get a contact order which they'd be forced by law to stick to xx

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Dear K turner,

Thank you for updating us. I can see that you have had a lot of helpful support from mama about the changes in the contact arrangements.
In answer to your question-it is an application for section 34 contact with a child in care.

Please see our advice sheet about contact with children in care . Page 11 onwards sets out how to apply to court.

Have you raised your concerns about the lack of consultation by the new social worker? You could contact the independent reviewing officer (IRO) directly?

It is the Independent reviewing officer’s job to make sure that you are consulted –as you have parental responsibility and that the care plan is also carried out by children services.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Post by 1234 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:56 pm

The original IRO has taken on a new role and so left in May, and the social worker claims not to know the name of the new IRO. I was finally able to find out the name of the new one today, after many phone calls, but she has only been at the post for 8 weeks, and I do not feel confident that she knows what it is she is doing. I have left her a message asking her to get in touch, but who knows how long that will take. I filed an application with court today with the C1oo form, as that was the form the court gave me, and the application I made last time. They did not seem to be aware of any of applications I could make in my circumstances. I will look into the application you have referred to Suzie, thanks.
Everything just seems to have changed in the last 12 months, and the only difference is this new social worker who took on the case. Again, she was also new to the role, coming from a position at the NSPCC, and it has been very clear over the last 12 months that she does not know what she is doing. I have also just found out that the fostering social worker has also resigned, and the children's social worker claims to have no idea who the new one will be. Very concerning when the children are disclosing to myself and other family members that my eldest son has been assaulted by his grandfather/foster carer. I do not believe that anyone is following procedure, and as a result my children are clearly suffering emotional harm due to the neglect afforded to them by their carers and children's services. Just feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall and it is heartbreaking.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:15 am

Dear 1234

Welcome back to the parents' discussion board.

The Child Arrangement Order has replaced contact order applications and covers all aspects of when a court decides where a child (or children) should live as well as any contact arrangements that need to be considered.

If you have concerns about the practice of the new social worker you could request a meeting to discuss any issues with her and her team manager. Request to attend with an advocate or family member, but it is advisable to inform them in advance and what relationship the person is to your child, and whether they are attending in a professional or personal capacity.

It is important to ask for the meeting to be minuted, and a copy of the minutes to be sent to you within seven working days. Ensure that you copy any correspondence to the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) so they are aware of your situation.

If after this you continue to have concerns that you are being excluded from important decisions and or meetings without good reason, you could consider making a formal complaint.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Mama R

Post by Mama R » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Sad to say local authorities seem to behave in this way far to often. I wish you luck & hope that you can resolve things quickly hunnie xx stay strong xx

Post by 1234 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:53 pm

I had a meeting with the social worker on Monday, which was not conducive at all. I took a friend with me, who also happens to be an idva, who was appalled at the way the social worker spoke to me. she has put her own complaint in regarding the manner in which the social worker conducted herself in the meeting, and I have also put a complaint in about her whole practice in general. I do not feel that having another meeting with anyone else present would make any difference. I shouldn't have to file an application under the data protection act just to get a copy of my children's care plans and minutes from lac reviews, but if this is the only way I can get the paperwork which I am legally entitled to then that is what I have to do! I also think there may have been pep reviews in the last 12 months, again for which I have never received any paperwork. The application to court has been made now anyway, so I will just have to see what happens. Suzie, you say the child arrangements order (which is what I have applied for) also looks at where children live etc. Will this be looked at given that the children are subject to a care order? As my son is VERY eager to return to my care, and would be beneficial for him if that was to be looked at, as as much as I wasn't my children to return to my care, even just this latest stunt by children's services shows me the lengths they will go to including lying regarding important issues and I do not feel I would stand any chance winning against them without some sort of legal help, but if it was looked at by independent people, eg CAFCASS, and he was listened to for possibly the first time in his life, he might deal with things better. Or would I have to actually apply to discharge the care order in order for it to be looked at? I am aware that under some circumstances it is possible for children to live with either/both parents whilst under a care order. Thanks