Desperate for some guidance

desperatenan

Desperate for some guidance

Post by desperatenan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi,

I am desperate for help as I find myself in serious need to find a way forward.
I am a grandmother who by private arrangement took over the care of my grandson due to my daughters drug addiction and inability to care for him. I have had him now for over 6 years.

Since then my daughter gave birth again last year, and the child went into childrens services care. I am unable to take this child on as I do not have the time or energy to be able to give him the care he will need as my other grandchild has complex problems that are on going.
A family member put their name forward to take this child on. Her adult life was vague to us all but it seemed like a lifeline to keep the child in the family.
As time passed, familiarity to this person raised serious, serious issues about her. Having failed not one but two assessments, the family was relieved as it had been agreed that should the second assessment be negative the child’s guardian, the mother and chidrens service would support one track adoption which was being run parallel alongside the assessment. My daughter wanted the adoption to happen as soon as possible to avoid attachment issues and the complex problems it can have on a child. She may be a drug addict, but she is maternal and coherent about doing the right thing for her child, regardless of her own feelings.

The second assessment for the family member summed up all that is negative but it was a true assessment. I am sad to say, that although I am eternally grateful to her for putting herself forward, she definitely is not right to look after a child and it certainly is not in the childs best interest.

The date for the court hearing was nearing whereby all parties were to support single track adoption. I do have the documents to support this. As the mother of the child knew with time she would be giving up the child she stopped going to contact to bond even further as she did not want to cause more pain than necessary to herself and her son.

Her other son who resides with me was and is desperate to keep his half sibling within the family and he would let anyone and I mean anyone look after him if he thought he would be able to see him, which I do understand.
Knowing of the imminent court hearing I arranged through mental health services councelling for both the child with me and my daughter to go through the ‘Goodbye’ process and deal with the issues which happened over three one hour sessions.
On the day of the court hearing my daughter arrived at court prepared for this final process and was told only on arrival that it had ‘unravelled’ that day that rather than the family member who was contesting the assessment and wanted to bring the assessor to the stand a third assessment would now take place. This assessment being a CBA. And wont start until july and end in December. My grandson will be 15 months old by this point.

Surely, a second independent assessment that reads true to those that know her should have been it.
This is not family feuding or ungratefulness, for me it is about doing what is right for the child firstly, then his half sibling and then my daughter.

I am led to believe a CBA is not so much an assessment but advising and training to a degree, to make a ‘good enough’ parent? Is this the case?

I need to fight back and change what seems to be heading for a very bad decision in the interests of the child in care.

This is what I believe is my biggest point of contest.
My point is I feel my daughters human rights may have been infringed as the agreement was to follow single track adoption in april on a negative second assessment. No discussion was had with her regarding this third assessment or her feelings to it. As it was because her second assessment was negative by the time the reality of the family members traits and personality were known nothing was said as it was going for fast track adoption, so it served no purpose.

I feel I need to challenge the guardians decision, to discuss my serious concerns, and as I expect they shall just at best acknowledge my concerns and continue with there ideals. My thoughts lie with proving my daughters human rights were infringed and rather than challenge the decision for the third assessment, to challenge that procedures have not been followed. I also feel the guardian is being manipulated but I can not prove that.
My daughter in addition was not informed, or invited to the three month review. We do not know if it happened as no one was told of it happening and no paperwork of it has ever been given. During the whole process and I am sure so many people feel the same childrens services are so difficult to get to speak to when you want them but fast enough the other way round and it is very frustrating. My daughter has been rough rided and ignored through much of this and her vulnerability has been taken advantage of.
The social worker has been a nightmare through the process and it has only been recently I have been able to arrange a meeting with her that will happen next week to discuss all the issues we have. The child’s guardian is even harder to get to speak to. The social worker will not give a number but has said she would email the guardian to make contact. I still await.
I have dealt with social services before and I know myself when I have begged for help for the older grandson they have just patted my back and said im doing a great job and done nothing. They only patted my back because after not being able to get a conversation with a social worker I went to the office and asked to see a duty officer knowing they would have to see me.

Sorry it is such a long story I have tried to keep it brief and include the most important points.

My daughter does have a solicitor who has been involved with this case.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Desperate for some guidance

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Desperatenan

Welcome to the discussion board.

Just so I can answer you correctly, could you explain (for the benefit of myself and other forum users) what you mean by CBA? Once you provide a bit more information, I will be in a better position to advise you properly, in relation to your youngest grandchild.

You may find that it useful to put your post on the family and friends board, as other grandparents may be in a good position to answer your question on there.

Best Wishes

Suzie

desperatenan

Post by desperatenan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 am

Hi,

CBA is Community Based Assessment.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am

Hello again Desperatenan.

I am so sorry to read about the distressing situation you are all going through regarding your grandson.

My understanding from your post is that care proceedings are ongoing. The plan, agreed by all parties, was for adoption. Had a final hearing date been set for a full care order to be made?

A family member has had two unsuccessful assessments to have the baby placed with her. A decision has now been made that a third assessment will take place.

From your post, it seems that the court guardian has pushed this recommendation forward although Children’s Services may also now be taking the view that this is the right decision? Presumably, however, the court has ordered this further assessment.

The Children Act is clear that keeping a child within their birth family is a priority. All possibilities of this should be explored before a decision is taken to place the child permanently outside of the family, even if this is against the wishes of the parent.

The Act is also clear, however, that the child is paramount and that any delay in making decisions is likely to be detrimental to the child. Court proceedings are now kept within a strict 6-month timescale unless there are exceptional circumstances for this to be extended.

It is unusual for the court to order a further assessment of a relative when two have already been unsuccessful, because of the delay this will cause for the child. The court would certainly not do this if it was felt there was no possibility of a successful outcome and could overrule Children’s Services and the guardian by refusing to order such an assessment.

I agree that you are right to make contact with both Children’s Services (the social worker and the child’s independent reviewing officer) and the guardian to raise your concerns about the current plan. This allows you to express your concerns about delay, as well as ensuring that all parties are fully aware of your concerns about the family member being assessed, so that this can be taken in to account during the assessment process.

Ultimately, however, this assessment will go ahead if the court has ordered it unless, for some reason, the court makes a different decision.

I would advise that the priority, therefore, is for your daughter to meet with her solicitor to discuss the reasons why this decision has been taken and her legal options in terms of changing the plan or having her views heard by the court.

I hope this is of some help.

As I said before, I feel that you may get more appropriate peer support from our family and friends discussion board rather than here on the parents board. Alternatively, you are very welcome to call our free and confidential advice line to speak to an adviser directly.
[0808 8010366, 9.30am- 3pm, Monday to Friday]

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser

desperatenan

Post by desperatenan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am

Hello again Desperatenan.

I am so sorry to read about the distressing situation you are all going through regarding your grandson.

My understanding from your post is that care proceedings are ongoing. The plan, agreed by all parties, was for adoption. Had a final hearing date been set for a full care order to be made?
There was an interim care order. At a court hearing in April following the negative second assessment, The Guardian for the child, The mother of the child were in full support of the local authority pursuing a single track plan of permanency via adoption. This matter was timetabled for the 10th and 11th of June.

A family member has had two unsuccessful assessments to have the baby placed with her. A decision has now been made that a third assessment will take place.
Yes, a third Community based assessment. as a point. No assessor spoke with the birth family during the second assessment!

From your post, it seems that the court guardian has pushed this recommendation forward although Children’s Services may also now be taking the view that this is the right decision? Presumably, however, the court has ordered this further assessment.
The Guardian did back the local authority for adoption but at an advocates meeting before it went into court on the 10th June, a decision was made to go for this third assessment without any discussion before, during or after the meeting. The mother was told of this only after the meeting. Up until this point the mother was in court expecting the final hearing. She had prepared herself for this hearing by seeking councelling for the "goodbye" process that I had arranged through CAMHS for her and the other child I care for. I can only assume as no one is telling me as of yet that something was brought either prior or to the advocates meeting that changed the course.

The Children Act is clear that keeping a child within their birth family is a priority. All possibilities of this should be explored before a decision is taken to place the child permanently outside of the family, even if this is against the wishes of the parent.
Yes, it was a godsend until it was realised how detrimental it would be for the child. I do understand that it can be against the parents wishes, but in the interest's of the child I believe this to be a very poor decision. I have evidence to substantiate this once I can get the Guardian to meet with me. As of yet I still can not get the guardian to contact me and CS wont give me a direct contact number?

The Act is also clear, however, that the child is paramount and that any delay in making decisions is likely to be detrimental to the child. Court proceedings are now kept within a strict 6-month timescale unless there are exceptional circumstances for this to be extended.
This is an interesting point, however I am still trying to get any of those present at the advocates meeting to tell me straight. "it all unravelled" is the only explanation I have so far.

It is unusual for the court to order a further assessment of a relative when two have already been unsuccessful, because of the delay this will cause for the child. The court would certainly not do this if it was felt there was no possibility of a successful outcome and could overrule Children’s Services and the guardian by refusing to order such an assessment.
I believe as the family member was contesting some untruth's as she believed had been put into the assessment maybe this changed a course? I shall find out, at some point what really happened. Even the mothers solicitor seem's coy as to what transpired.

I agree that you are right to make contact with both Children’s Services (the social worker and the child’s independent reviewing officer) and the guardian to raise your concerns about the current plan. This allows you to express your concerns about delay, as well as ensuring that all parties are fully aware of your concerns about the family member being assessed, so that this can be taken in to account during the assessment process.
A community based assessment seems a bit vague to me. From my searching to find answers I see time and time again that any observations shall be done with advice and guidance? I am sure, my voice will be heard although a meeting arranged today for the SW to come to me was cancelled by the SW who seems to be trying to avoid this meeting. I was told an hour before the meeting that it would not happen. Yes it has been arranged again for a weeks time.

Ultimately, however, this assessment will go ahead if the court has ordered it unless, for some reason, the court makes a different decision.

I would advise that the priority, therefore, is for your daughter to meet with her solicitor to discuss the reasons why this decision has been taken and her legal options in terms of changing the plan or having her views heard by the court.
This is in process and for answers to be sought from all parties. I do not like to say it but I don't think this course change was for the interest's of the child but for some fundamental flaw or catch that the family member has been able to work around. I do smell a rat, but that is my feeling that only get's stronger when I try to find answers.

I hope this is of some help.

As I said before, I feel that you may get more appropriate peer support from our family and friends discussion board rather than here on the parents board. Alternatively, you are very welcome to call our free and confidential advice line to speak to an adviser directly.
[0808 8010366, 9.30am- 3pm, Monday to Friday]