Son in foster care

markymark

Son in foster care

Post by markymark » Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 pm

My 15 year old son made allegations against my partner that she had emotionally and physically abused him. We both work with children in our professions so have been suspended from work. An investigation by Police and Social Workers has took place the Police dropped the case due to lack of any evidence we were never arrested or cautioned by the police, but the Social Workers proceeded with their case. A child protection meeting took place where my son kept up the allegations along with my very interfering mother, I have a daughter also who is 16 who my son said was being abused she denied anything was happening to social workers, my daughter also told Social Workers what he was like at home aggressive and ill mannered and sometimes violent. They did not want to listen to my daughter and my partner and I were at no point asked our views or story by social workers. The story the social workers told us in the child protection meeting did not correspond to the police accounts when they interviewed us we did mention this in the CP meeting when they told us they weren't the police and it didn't matter.
After the meeting both children were placed on a child in need register as my daughter refused to be put on a child protection register and I allowed my son to reside with my mother, and my daughter was allowed .
I have never gave up my parental rights but neither social services or my mother have kept me upto date with anything regarding my son, my son has since informed me that my mother has informed school, doctors and dentists that she had full parental responsibility. The placement with my mother has broken down and my son has been placed in foster care that's all I was informed as he cannot return to his family home or he will automatically be placed on a child protection register and we would then lose our jobs automatically. We have always denied any wrong doing but never listened to or believed by the social workers.
Has anyone any advice how to handle the Social Workers and this situation.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Son in foster care

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Dear Markymark,
Welcome to the parents board!
I am sorry to hear about the difficult time you and your family have had. It sounds very stressful (particularly as your employment was affected as well).
Your children were placed on "child in need" plans-your daughter continues to live with you. However, your son is now accommodated in foster care.
You are concerned that you have not been consulted about your son. You have also been told that if he were to return home-his name would be automatically placed on a child protection plan.

Parental responsibility
I am assuming that you are Dad. If you are not, I may have to give you further advice.
It is not clear from your post whether you have parental responsibility for your son. If you were married to Mum at any point-then you will have it. If you were not married to her-did you sign any parental responsibility agreement or did you get a court order giving you parental responsibility? If not, you may not have parental responsibility. However, you are still a parent and should be consulted about decisions that are being made about your son.
If you do have parental responsibility for your son then Children services need either yours or mothers consent to accommodate a child under the age of 16. When a child is 16-the child can consent or not to remain in foster care.
Even if you do not have parental responsibility-the general rule is that children services (social services) should still be consulting you (as a parent) about your son’s care plan.
However, if your son is old enough to make his own decisions-and at 15 he may be-then he may have asked that you are not consulted or kept informed about his care plan. If this is the case-at least the social worker should have discussed this with you. Go back to her/him for the information that you need.
Please have a look at our glossary-it explains what parental responsibility means.

Child protection plan
It is not true that your son’s name would automatically be placed on a child protection plan if he was to return to live with you. Children services need to follow a child protection process that starts with an assessment to find out whether he could be at risk of suffering harm. Have a look at our glossary of terms child protection enquiries

However, if you were hoping that your son returns to live with you then it is important that you discuss your wishes with children services. Before a child returns home from foster care, an assessment of the family is carried out.
You could write (email is usually easier) to the social worker and send a copy of your email to the team manager. Set out your wishes in respect of your son and suggest that you meet with them to discuss what needs to happen-to make it possible for your son to return home to live with you.

If you do not get a response then contact the independent reviewing officer. Please see : independent reviewing officer in our glossary of terms.

I hope this advice helps but if you have any questions please post back.
Best wishes,
Suzie