Advice Needed Regarding Son in Care

rosetta

Advice Needed Regarding Son in Care

Post by rosetta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Hello everybody,

I am writing because I need some advice. My soon to be 5 year old son has been taken into foster care since March 11th this year and I am trying to get him back but is proving very difficult as the LA do not think that I am capable to parenting him properely, as in the past I have had a few problems with ex partners and my own mental health. I suffer from depression and at times did not treat my son as i should have.

I really need some advice and support and am hoping to meet other parents going through the same situation as myself. If there are any parents out there who can relate to me then please do get in touch. It will be so helpful to hear from you.

Take Care

Rosetta

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice Needed Regarding Son in Care

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am

Hello Rosetta

My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group. Welcome to the discussion board and thanks for your post.

I’m sorry to hear about the distressing situation you are in.

You have explained that your son is in foster care and that you are working hard to have him returned to your care. I am not clear whether your son is accommodated with your consent at the moment or whether there is an interim care order in place?

One of the most important things I would advise is that, as best you can, you establish positive and open communication with your child’s social worker. Be very clear that your son is your priority, that you believe it is in his best interests to return to your care and that you are willing and able to do whatever necessary to work towards that goal, including working in partnership with Children’s Services.

Ask the social worker to be clear about the specific concerns about your parenting and what s/he feels would need to change to reassure Children’s Services that your son could return safely to your care.

Make sure you are being proactive in getting support in place to address any difficulties you have- counselling, support groups, parenting courses etc. And make sure that you are drawing on any support that is available from your network of family and friends.

If you do have people who can support you, a Family Group Conference may be helpful. As well as clarifying what support is available to you, this could also help to identify people connected to you who may be able to care for your son in the short term or even in the longer term if necessary.

Hopefully you have a solicitor advising you Rosetta. It is very important that you work closely with your solicitor to be clear about the concerns being raised about you, what your legal options are and what is in the best interests of your case. Make sure you are preparing for any discussions/ meetings with your solicitor by writing a clear list of issues to discuss/ questions you wish to raise.

I hope this is a helpful start Rosetta. Maybe other parents have experiences/ ideas that they would be happy to share that might help you?

I would advise you to look at our advice sheet about reuniting children in care with their families aswell as the advice sheet about the duties of Children’s Services when children are in care

Please give us a call on our free and confidential advice line if you would like to speak to an adviser directly.

Take care Rosetta

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser

rosetta

Re: Advice Needed Regarding Son in Care

Post by rosetta » Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Suzie,

Thank you for responding to my post and for your advice.

The Local Authorities in my borough have an interim care order for my son at the moment which was made on March 28th. I did not consent nor oppose I didnt have a choice so they applied and was granted the care order.

I have noted some of your advice down and will speak with the social worker with regards to what I can do to reassure them that I am capable of parenting my son properly.

I do have a solicitor and will have a long talk with her regarding my case and what is the best thing to do. I am fighting and will continue to fight for my son.

I have participated in councilling and am seeing a physcotherapist next week regarding my issues. I am also being allowed to have another parenting assessment which should start next week or the week after so I hope that this time round it will be positive for me. I also have support from other parents in the parenting course I attend once a week. I am trying, lets hope its enough for the childrens services.

Thank you again for your advice.

Regards,

Rosetta