Foster carer making unauthorised decisions

charmed1

Foster carer making unauthorised decisions

Post by charmed1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Can a foster carer agree to have a child put on the pill without the social worker consulting with the parent first? The IRO stated that no decision should be made without the sw contacting me but instead the carer went ahead. I didn't find out for six months as the review minutes stated that my daughter's periods were being managed no mention of the pill.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Foster carer making unauthorised decisions

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Dear charmed1

Thank you for your post, I am sorry for the delay in responding.

It may be a good idea for you to speak with the IRO about the social worker not contacting you when decisions are being made for your child. When there is a care order in place the local authority has parental responsibility (PR) and can make decisions in the same way parents (and others with PR) can.

In relation to medical decisions, in some cases it is possible for a child (a person under 16 years old) to consult with a GP and make their own decision about proposed medication or treatment. Here is a booklet from the Department of Health about consent, I hope you find it useful

Best wishes

Suzie

charmed1

Post by charmed1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm

Thank you Suzie. Thank you for the link regarding health consent. My daughter is only 12 years old and has global development delay so isn't able to understand what is being said. The foster carer staes that her periods upset her although they didn't appear to bother my daughter when I saw her at those times. I raised it with the IRO and all he said is it's working well for my daughter nothing more. He never addressed the concerns I have. Unfortunately the sw concerned has since left. I want to be involved but feel that I my views aren't being sought when parental responsibility is involved. The foster carer is a special guardian to another child and therefore has PR for her. I often think she is making decisions off her own back as if she has an sgo for my daughter too which she hasn't.
Last edited by charmed1 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Dear Charmed1

Thank you for your further post. Due to your daughter’s age and learning needs it doesn’t sound as if this was something she could consent to herself, it was a decision made for her.

Have you been given any information about the reason why this was decided for your daughter? I do think the IRO could have responded more helpfully to your questions. It might be that you could put in writing (to the social worker, their team manager and the IRO) that you are formally asking to be consulted and kept informed about any significant decisions including those to do with her daughter’s health and development.

You are right that the foster carer does not have PR (the local authority (LA) does as do you) but she probably does have ‘delegated authority’ given to her by the LA to make day to day decisions for your daughter. Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss this with the (new) social worker, to clarify what this involves and to seek reassurance, as above, that your views will be sought and taken account of for significant decisions.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes

Suzie