Long Term Foster

Murray72

Long Term Foster

Post by Murray72 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm

I just wondered if anyone could offer advice please??

If CS were to put a plan in place for a return of a Child to the Birth family after a long period of time in FC what form would the plan take??

Would it be written and timescales given or would it be an amendment to the original care plan, or would CS simply change contact arrangements over a period of time and assess as the situation goes on??

Still no further along with getting CS to commit to a plan but I am ever hopeful this will happen sometime soon.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Long Term Foster

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Murray

Welcome back to the board.

With regard to your query about reunification, you raise some very valid points.

It is always good practice for any significant change or plan for reunification to be formally incorporated into the care plan.

Hence the Looked After Review meeting should be used as a way for everyone involved, to plan for any changes, what actions need to happen, by whom, and over what timescale. This means the Looked After Review minutes should clearly reflect these changes so the child, parent and everybody involved can know what to expect.

In this way a more flexible approach ie increase in contact, introducing overnight stays etc can be carefully monitored so if any part of the plans is not working or needs to be adapted in any way, this can be done at an early stage and a contingency plan could be put in place if need be.

Either way it will be important that any plans involve close working between the foster carer and yourself so that any feeding, bathing and bedtime routines, (where relevant) remain consistent between both sets of placements.

You could request the next Review can be brought forward to reflect the change to the care plan. It may be a good idea to get the proposal in writing from the social worker, speak to and copy the Independent Reviewing Officer in to any correspondence, in advance of the next meeting.

If you wish to discuss your situation in more detail, please feel free to contact the advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Murray72

Post by Murray72 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 am

I had a meeting with SW and Service Manager and they have stated it is the intention for Care Plan to remain same with a view to Long term foster care (till child is 18) despite them instructing and paying for assessment last year, which came back positive and with some recomendations for further work between myself and my child, this work has not been instructed and despite numerous conversations regarding this nothing has been doen to faciliate this work, ( it would not benefit the position of CS ).

The Manager stated they have not ascertained the wishes of the Child, in there view Child is settled in placement and is doing well at school, they think it would be disruptive to ask the Child if they wish to return home, they couldn't give me an alternative way to ascertain the wishes of the Child, so we have reached a deadlock, any Ideas?? ( I suspect the wishes of the Child would go against the plan of CS so they are reluctant to ask.)

The Manager also stated they are "confident" a Judge would support the continued plan for Child to remain in FC if I were to challenge in court, I am deeply confused at this moment, They also stated the intention of CS had always been for CHild to remain in FC till 18!! In the final judgement the LA amended the Care plan to allow for a period of one years assessment with a view to re-unification (they only amended the CP as Guardian requested this) no assessment was completed in this period and I complained at the time but this was not upheld, but obviously 3 years later it is apparant they had no intention of completing such work at that time! Every copy of the minutes I recieve post LAC review states a number of expecations from myself (these have not changed in 3 years are obviously copied and pasted into form) they state such things as to not continue a relationship with my EX husband, I am now remarried and have had no contact with ex since the LAC review prior to his prison sentence 3 years ago!!! Continue to cooperate with CS- it is CS who do not cooperate with me!!! They have consistently stated they have a number of expectations from me, if the view is for child to remain in FC there would be no expectation on me!!!

In the course of the Care Proceedings CS did a finding of fact hearing and no findings were made against myself with regards to failure to protect the child, any findings made against myself were made in regards to my dishonesty at that time, ( I was dishonest about contact I had with ex husband and evidence of this aquired by a private investigator at the time). I have since turned my life around moved on and dealt with the issues I had at that time, worked with Domestic Abuse agency and re- educated myself with the help, this was done on a self referal basis. I have consistently been open and honest with CS, the feelings and wishes of my Child have always been paramount to any course of action I have taken. The view of CS remains fixed and they refuse to work with me to return my child.

What next???

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Murray

Sorry to hear that you seem to be going through such a difficult time with regards to the care plan involving your oldest child, as this has clearly been a frustrating process for you.

Have you considered contacting an advocacy service for young people, so they can ensure your son's views are taken into account? A couple of organisations you may wish to get on board are:-

Voice - 0808 800 5792 http://www.voiceyp.org/
NYAS- 0300 330 3131 http://www.nyas.net/?page_id=21

and it is always a good idea to speak to the Independent Reviewing Officer about your plans, and follow this up with an e-mail, as this shows you are being transparent about your actions.

If you wish to get some more detailed advice about your situation, you may find it useful to speak to an advisor on the Family Rights Group advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Murray72

Post by Murray72 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Suzie,

Thank you for your advice as ever. It's all a circus and to be honest I have made the decision to give up for the time been. The emotional upheaval involved when taking part in assessments,'meetings and various discussions eventually takes it toll.

I should be concentrating on my lovely new husband and enjoying the last few weeks of pregnancy,without the additional stress of hitting my head against a brick wall. I will be taking time out from the discussion boards for now.

Thank you to everybody who has offered me advice and guidance over the months.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Murray

Thank you for your useful input to the discussion board over the past few months.

Your advice and experience, has been of great help to many of the users that seek support from other parents who have been through equally difficult times with Children's Services.

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and enjoy some rest

Suzie