Covid-19/Any Indirect Contact Being Arranged?

charmed1

Covid-19/Any Indirect Contact Being Arranged?

Post by charmed1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am

My daughter has complex learning needs and wouldn't manage a voice call. That is all that is being offered which means me, dad and her brother have no contact at all despite their legal duty to arrange an alternative during the lockdown. Anyone else not able to have indirect contact with their child at the moment? I have suggested alternatives but not getting a response.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Covid-19/Any Indirect Contact Being Arranged?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Dear charmed1

I am sorry to hear that you are not being offered an alternative means of contact with your daughter during this coronavirus outbreak. We have produced a document which suggests various kinds of contact parents and carers might request during this time, you will find it here. Our advice sheet Contact with children in care may be useful too.

The Government has produced guidance for local authorities, below is an extract from it under the heading of Principles and the information itself can be found here, perhaps you can quote it to your daughter’s social worker and ask her to comment.

At these times we want local authorities and local safeguarding partners to feel empowered to support families and protect children to the best of their abilities given the challenging context.

These difficult and complex decisions should be made in the spirit of the following principles:

• child-centred - promoting children’s best interests
• risk-based - prioritising support and resources for children at greatest risk
• family focussed - harnessing the strengths in families and their communities
• evidence informed - ensuring decisions are proportionate and justified
• collaborative - working in partnership with parents and other professionals
• transparent - providing clarity and maintaining professional curiosity about a child’s wellbeing

Best wishes

Suzie

charmed1

Post by charmed1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 am

Hi everyone. Quick update. My daughter has been asked how she felt about a voice call with her brother. She didn't want to talk anyone on the phone so I know that won't be an option when my next cintact is due in two months. As there is no other option available the social worker has suggested my son draws a picture for his sister. I'm ok with that. My son liked the idea very much and is very good at drawing so I'm looking forward to a masterpiece! I hope my daughter likes and knows we are thinking about her as I'm extremely unhappy about how things are being managed at the moment generally. I feel my daughter is slowly slipping away from us.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:40 pm

Dear Charmed1

Thank you for your updating post.

I am pleased to see that there has been a suggestion for your son to do a drawing for his sister which he is happy to do. It is unfortunate that your daughter does not wish to have a telephone conversation. Does this have anything to do with the complex needs which you say she has? Do you think she might be more comfortable with face time interaction? If so, perhaps this is something that could be arranged for the next contact.

Whilst I understand that as a family you want to maintain contact with your daughter, contact has to be looked at in the context of her own needs which may not always coincide with the rest of the family. This is not to say that children’s services should not keep the situation under review so that contact can continue in a way that is manageable for your daughter.

During this Covid-19 period, children’s services have guidance to follow and you have already been sent a link to this in a previous post. Children’s services are also now able to relax some of the requirements where they can show it is reasonable to do so. It would, I think, be important that they give proper written explanation for taking such a decision.

I do hope that you will be able to some contact on the next occasion in whatever way possible and that you daughter will have enjoyed receiving the drawing from her brother.

Best wishes

Suzie