return of children

Lizzy1957

return of children

Post by Lizzy1957 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:04 pm

my children age 7 and 8 r in long term foster care have bin for 2 years they were took cos of dv and neglect since then i have had to downsize my home cudnt afford rent and i have stopped drinkin no contact with the kids dad for the 2 years got myself a job looks like going to make it perminant never missed a contact always on time had my first communal wiv them last week im goin to my next lac meeting on 6th jan any advice on what i can say dont want to say sommet wrong and what do u think my chances r off return i cant afford solicitor so goin alone to court advice plz

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: return of children

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi Lizzie1957,

Welcome to the Parent’s Board.

I am sorry to hear about your children being removed from you 2 years ago due to domestic violence and neglect.

Since then, there you have not seen their dad for 2 years, you have stopped drinking and you have got yourself a job which may become a permanent job. It sounds like your money situation is much better-you have downsized and can now afford the rent.

You have gone to all the contacts with your children (never missing any and always being on time) and you say you are now seeing your children in the community. That is a massive step forward for your contact visits. I assume contact must be going very well.
You have to be congratulated for making these changes.

You have a LAC review on the 6th January and want to know about asking for an assessment for your children to return home.
You want to know what your chances of your children coming home would be.

At the LAC review, you need to ask for children services to carry out an assessment of you to see whether your children could return home to you. Ask how long will the assessment take.
The assessment would check that you have made substantial changes in your life since the care orders were made and assess whether it is now safe for your children to return home.
Research shows that good contact between a parent and children is very important. So your contact will be assessed. Children services may want more contact in the community first of all and more regular contact to see how it goes before considering your children coming home.
They will also want to assess what support will be needed by you and by your children to ensure everything go smoothly. This includes assessing the support you have in your network (friends and family) as well as any professional support. You should ask about having
a family group conference.

You mention the fact you suffered domestic violence. Have you completed all the programmes and counselling that you were expected to do during or before the care proceedings?
Did you have a psychological assessment during the care proceedings? If so, read through the report. Was any treatment or therapy recommended?
You say you use to drink but do not now. Are you happy to have any alcohol, tests, if this is needed?
You say you have not seen dad for 2 years. Do you have or need a safety plan in place? He may come back onto the scene if you go to court.

It should be recorded in the children’s care plan if there is a plan for the children to be returned home.

Please look at page 8 onwards of our advice sheet 17-re uniting children home from the care system for tips.

If, after the assessment has taken place, the social worker is against your children returning home, ask her to set out in writing why and what you can do.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,
Suzie