can we change the foster parents

familyguy

can we change the foster parents

Post by familyguy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm

I have a daughter in foster care (shes 3 weeks old) and im not happy with how she is being looked after, first of all it started with her nails being cut wrong and had dry blood on the tips of her fingers which still have been cleaned. second she has had a nappy rash where she is not having cream put on her when she is changed, and third she has white mouth and now she has a very bad cold which is not being sorted. even when me and my wife have put it in the book, which is how we can keep in touch with the foster parents with what is happing during our contact, and so we know what is happing when she is in her care. we are due in court after the new year and we would like to know if we can put it forward to the court if we can have the foster parents changed. as me and my wife are not happy with the way she is being looked after, any help would be greatfull.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: can we change the foster parents

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello familyguy

Welcome to the discussion boards. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser.

I am very sorry to hear about the distressing situation you are in regarding your daughter. You are clearly very worried about the care she is receiving from her foster carers.

The foster carers are looking after your daughter on behalf of Children’s Services (Social Services). I wonder if there is a care order in place familyguy or if your daughter is currently accommodated under section 20 of the Children Act?

If your daughter is accommodated, you retain full parental responsibility for her and Children’s Services should be agreeing all of their plans for her with you. If, however, there is a care order in place, Children’s Services also have parental responsibility for your daughter and it is up to them to decide who should care for her.

The first thing you should do is raise all of your concerns about your daughter’s care with Children’s Services. I would advise you to put all of your points in writing to the social worker, his/ her manager and the independent reviewing officer (IRO) who oversees your daughter’s case.

I would also advise that you work closely with your solicitor as they are your advocate in the court process. Make sure that you solicitor is aware of your concerns and ask their advice about your options and what is likely to be in the best interests of your case.

It may be helpful for you to read our advice sheets about care proceedings and responsibilities of the local authority when children are in the care system

Hopefully this is a useful start familyguy. Please do keep posting for more support. You are also welcome to call our free and confidential advice line (0808 8010366) when it re-opens on January 2nd 2013 (9.30am- 3.30pm)

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser