Need any advice please

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Need any advice please

Post by 3kids2019 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I’m fighting for my 2 kids who are in foster care at the moment due to some bruises on my eldest who I took doctors for I’m currently 35 weeks pregnant and half way through my pre birth assessment, I’ve admitted where I went wrong in my parenting and I’ve changed completely I’m just seeing what most likely going to happy my social worker said it will be discharged from hospital with a order so I can bring my baby home or straight into foster care please any help will be helpful

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Need any advice please

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Dear 3kids2019

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are having at the moment.

Your two children are in foster care at the moment because of a concern about bruising to your eldest child, for which you sought medical advice. Your new baby is due soon and you are having a pre-birth assessment. You are trying to understand what will happen when the baby is born as the social worker has indicated that they will be applying for a court order.

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope the birth goes well. It is good that you are cooperating with the assessment of your unborn baby’s needs. The assessment may conclude that there should be a pre-birth child protection conference to decide if your unborn baby needs a child protection plan to be put in place to keep them safe. Any child protection plan will also look at what the plan is following the birth, what the discharge arrangements are likely to be.

Here is a helpful FAQ which explains more about what happens if you are pregnant and you already have children in foster care : I am pregnant and have had previous children removed by Children's Services. What can I do to stop them taking this one?

The social worker has said that the baby will be discharged from hospital with an order. Children’s Services cannot apply for a court order until the baby is born. They make the application and the court decides whether the threshold is met and whether an order is needed.

You don’t say if your older children who are in foster care currently are under a voluntary arrangement or whether there is a temporary (interim) care order in place for them. I am guessing that most likely you are involved in court proceedings. If this is the case, you should already have a solicitor who should advise you about the baby’s situation too. A court will only separate a mother and her newborn baby if it is absolutely necessary for the baby, so every other possibility should be considered. There are a number of different possible outcomes if the court does made a temporary court order; these could include baby remaining in your care, you and baby being supported by family, perhaps with a relative supervising, you both being placed in a mother and baby unit or a residential unit, or baby being placed in foster care either with be a member of your family and friends network if they have been temporarily approved as a foster carer or with an unrelated foster carer.

It is important that you discuss this with your solicitor as soon as possible and that you consider involving your family and friends as soon as possible – you could ask for a family group conference to bring people together, either to support you to care for the baby or to care for them if you are not able to.

Make sure that you are thinking about how your older children will see and spend time with the baby and that this is included in the care plans for them and in any plans made for the baby.

It is good to hear that you have been willing to work on your parenting and not defensive about problems so do continue working so positively with the social worker and the professionals around you, including with your midwife and health visitor. Try to clarify and ensure that you understand what the concerns are and what you can do about them.

We have some specialist young parents advice here too that might help you.

If you would like to speak to an adviser about your situation please do ring FRG’s Freephone advice line on 0808 801 0366, Mon – Fri 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. or post again here.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes


Post Reply