foster family couldnt cope

Nikki67

foster family couldnt cope

Post by Nikki67 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi
i really need advice. My youngest son was put into foster care in July 2011 after i had a break down following my fathers death. I suffer from Bi-polar and have had problems on & off for years, but only diagnosed about 3yrs ago.
I have 4 children 2 of which are grown up with kids of their own now. and 1 of 18yrs who has lived with his dad but i see him all the time.
My son in care is 10yrs old , his dad has never been around so it has always just been me & him.
I started having problems with his behaviour since he was 2yrs old. Which had a big knock on affect with my own problems. I have been begging for help with both mine and his very challenging behaviour since he was 2yrs old but never got any. Social services would NOT believe me about how bad his behaviour was. Niether would the school or CAMHS etc. I have ended up sometimes not being able to cope ( because of my bipolar as well )and have ended up in hospital on quite few occasions. Luckily my Daughter has been amazing and has regularly had to have him ( her little brother ) to stay for months on end. He would be ok with her for a while then his behaviour would get worse and she couldnt cope. It got so bad she couldnt have him anymore because he threatened her little girls with a bread knife. He then stayed with my eldest son for a few weeks before he was taken away and put in care.
I have been through all the court process and it ended in May 2012 where he is to stay in care. I hate to fight for contact where the social services were saying it should be 6 times a year. Luckily the Judge disaggreed and didnt make a contact order saying it should be based on my sons needs. I had been seeing him once a week then it went to once a fortnight then once a month. Since contact has been lessened his behaviour has got worse again and i have now found out that he has been moved from the foster family he was to stay with because they couldnt cope with his behaviour and is now in temp foster care.
Everyone now is seeing that i was telling the truth about his bevahiour BUT he is still NOT getting any help. CAMHS HAS A 8 MONTH WAITING LIST.
I feel that if they had listen to me and my family he may already have got the help and he would still be with me.
Can i fight in court to get him back or not? Im so very worried about him.

Nikki

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: foster family couldnt cope

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:48 am

Hi Nikki67

Welcome to the board.

My name is Suzie, an advisor from the Family Rights Group. I just wanted to say that I have deleted your two other posts as they contained the same information, and will return later with some advice in response to your queries.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: foster family couldnt cope

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello Nikki.

Thank you for your post, I’m sorry it’s taken me a couple of days to get back to answer your questions.

I’m really sorry to hear about your distressing experience and the situation you are currently in regarding your son. You are obviously very worried and anxious for him.

You have said that the court process regarding your son ended in May this year. It sounds as though the local authority was granted a full care order at this time.

The care order gives the local authority parental responsibility (PR) for your son, shared with you. Although the local authority can use their PR to overrule you in decision making and planning for your son, they do have a responsibility to be involving you in discussions and listening to your views.

I wonder if you attend your son’s looked after child (LAC) review meetings? These meetings should take place every 6 months but I would also have expected there to be an additional meeting when your son’s foster care placement broke down to discuss this and agree an alternative plan.

An independent reviewing officer or IRO chairs the LAC review meetings. This person is responsible for overseeing your son’s care plan and ensuring that it meets his needs appropriately.

I would advise you to contact the IRO and ask for a meeting to discuss your current concerns about your son. You can then raise your concerns about your son’s emotional/ behavioural needs as well as the issue of reduced contact and make suggestions about what you feel is in your son’s best interests.

There is more detailed information about the LAC reviewing process and the role if the IRO in our advice sheet on the duties of Children's Services when children are in the care system

It seems that your family have been very supportive of you and your youngest son in the past. Is there anyone within your family who may be in a position to put themselves forward to care for your son now that his foster care placement has broken down? I wonder if a family group conference has taken place in the past and/ or if it would be useful to suggest such a meeting is arranged now to look at what additional support your wider family may be able to provide to your son.

You raise the question of whether you can go back to court to have your son returned to your care. It is possible to apply to revoke a care order. This is not a straightforward matter, however, as you would need to be able to evidence a “significant change of circumstances” since the order was put in place. Realistically, it is going to be very difficult for you to do this given the relatively short time since the care proceedings ended. I would advise that you seek advice from a solicitor about your legal options and what is likely to be in your best interests at this time.

I hope this is helpful Nikki. Please do post again if you have any further questions or call our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Open 9.30am- 3.30pm, Monday- Friday)

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser