INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Heartbrokenmom1606

INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Post by Heartbrokenmom1606 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on ISW assessments. My son has been under an ICO for 17 weeks due to my previous children being removed and myself, my partner and my brother being left in the pool of perpitrators 7 years ago. I just need some advice as to whether one of these independent assessments can turn things around. We have made considerable changes to our lives and just want my boy home! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Dear Heartbrokenmom1606,

I am glad to hear that you have made positive changes and that you want them to be properly assessed.

An independent social worker assessment is when a social worker who does not work for the local authority is instructed to carry out a social worker assessment. The court would need to direct such an assessment and a copy of the court bundle would be sent to the independent social worker. You would expect to see the independent social worker’s CV and letter of instruction.
An independent social worker might be instructed if an assessment needs to be done quickly and there is no one available in the local authority to do it. Or if a parent or other party question the independence or quality of the work of the social worker, then an independent social worker might be appropriate.
Sometimes, if a case is complex or covers a situation that is less common, then an independent social worker with the expertise may be instructed.
In your case, it seems there is contention about you being part of a pool of perpetrators 8 years ago, and how that fits in to the current assessment. It may make sense to instruct a social worker with experience in cases of non-accidental injury, for example.

You should check with your solicitor why an independent social workers are appointed on your case.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Heartbrokenmom1606

Re: INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Post by Heartbrokenmom1606 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I know why we have the assessments. The local authority's assessments were flawed and we fought to get an independent assessment. I just wanted some advice from others who have had an ISW involved and whether it's helped their cases as I am hoping and praying these assessments will bring my son home.
Thankyou for replying