advice about LAR

amy82

advice about LAR

Post by amy82 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello,
My son who is now 17 lives with a foster carer. My ex husband was found out to be a sex offender against children (online) in 2012 was convicted. I was in an abusive relationship with him and unable to care for my son as a result. There was a child arrangment order put in place in 2014 at court, but it soon broke down. He is now section 20.
They had looked after review meetings every few months but they suddenly stopped when my son was 14 or 15. I asked why and was told that it was because my ex husband had gone to prison so there was no need for meetings. (He was convicted again). What does this mean? Does it mean they don't see me as a risk? I ask because my son has asked to come and live with me.
I do remember that they said I would be ok after a course of counselling, which I've now had. Mostly, the reasons behind my son moving away was my ex's sex offending and his abuse of me and the effect the abuse had on me being able to protect my son from him.
Also, I am in a stable realtionship with someone now and we want to have a baby together. I had a solicitor back then (2014) and he said that if I had more chlidren in the future it would most likely only be an initial assessment of me. I just want to be sure before we have a baby.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: advice about LAR

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Dear amy82

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

From your post I see that you wish to have your son returned to your care from his current foster placement. You say there was a child arrangement order in place but that placement broke down. You do not say who had the child arrangement order. You accept that you were not able to care for your son at that time.

Once a child arrangement order was made, your son was no longer a looked after child so children’s services would not have needed to continue having looked after child reviews. However, once the placement broke down and he was again accommodated by children’s services under s.20, he became a looked after child again and there should be looked after reviews. I am not sure why you would have been told that because his father was in prison look after meeting were no longer necessary. I think you should ask the social worker to explain this. Please see the explanation for looked after review in our A-Z of terms

Our advice sheet relating to Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system should give you more information.

You should have been invited to meetings relating to your son since your have parental responsibility for him. As your son is now 17 and is still a looked after children chldren’s services should be offering services as a looked after child including arrangements for where he will live. Please see our advice sheetSupport for young people leaving the care system.

As you son is now 17 his wishes and feelings should be taken into account by children’s services and if he wishes to return to your care they should support this in a planned way. Do read our advice sheet Reuniting children in the care system with their families.

If you wish to have a baby now, then children’s services should look at your situation as you are now although they will be informed by the history. However, if the concerns that existed at the time your son was removed from no longer exist as you say in your post, children’s services may not pursue the matter further but they would have to consider the new relationship you have bearing in mind you were in an abusive relationship with your son’s father. They would want to check your new partner’s background to see if there is any historical domestic violence in previous relationships or any police involvement with him. Please read our frequently asked questions
Should you wish to speak to an adviser more about your situation, do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie