Can I get my kids back

MY1508

Can I get my kids back

Post by MY1508 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello, I am writing on behalf of my friend. About 2 weeks ago her 3 kids 5 8 and 11 got taken, one with an aunt one with a grandparent and one with a foster parent. The reasons was because of her mental health and has hit her self in thepassed infront of her children. Her adult social worker said that with 2 years of therapy she should learn to control everything and should be fine. But the school said they came in scruffy a few times due to the kids keep ripping their clothes or forgetting to put on socks. They eventually told her to move out and left the kids with the father but they had an anonymous call to say that he has left and met the Mum when the court has only allowed them to see each other during school hours and they said he puts the needs of his wife before his kids which he doesn’t but he tries to balance everything at ones. They said they can’t get them back till 18 but if the therapy takes 2 years then that mean the dad won’t have to look after her as much and can care for the kids better and they will be much older will they not be able to get the court order discharged? They also have to older children 16 an 14 which still live with them but they do not allow them to see their siblings unsupervised which distresses them as they was a really close family and siblings. The social worker has often come across ignorant to their needs and emotions as a family and rather to help them they have just though taking the kids would be the easiest option. What can they do to get their kids back? If that is possible and can their siblings fight for them

MY1508

Re: Can I get my kids back

Post by MY1508 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:38 am

Hello is anyone there

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am

Dear MY1508

As you posted on another thread as well your post has already received a response.

Best wishes

Suzie

beckey11

Post by beckey11 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

I have done loads of courses from safeguarding to parenting myself and my husband has and we have put loads of stuff into place but the local authorties are not listening to my older 3 i can not get back but my yongest has got 11 years left in care and i am not giving up on her any suggestions please

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Dear beckey11

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for you post. My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see that your children are currently in care of the local authority under what I assume are full care orders. You are anxious to have your children returned to your care as you believe that your husband and you have completed various courses which should make it possible for you to have your children back in your care.

It is difficult to advise you fully as you have given very little background information about how your children came to be in local authority care. However, the fact is, they are in care and the question you wish to be answered is whether you can have them back in your care.
There is a possibility that children in long term foster care can be rehabilitated back into their family but this will depend on a number of factors. Firstly, it is important that the parent or parents wishing to discharge a care order has to show that they have made significant changes in their lives especially in relation to the issues that led to children’s services having safeguarding concerns and subsequently applying to the court for care order. Secondly, there would need to be good contact taking place with the children to show that the relationship has been maintained. The children’s welfare is very important and it would have to be in their best interests for the court to decide that the care order should be discharged.

Before making an application to discharge a care order, it is advisable to obtain a copy of the judgement which was given at the final hearing to see exactly the reasons given by the judge to explain why it was not in the children’s interests to live with their parents. These concerns would have to be addressed and evidence provided to the court to show what has been done. It would also be helpful to read the guardian’s final analysis report as this too will refer to the reasons it was not good for the children to be in their parents’ care.

If you do not have copies of the judgement or guardian’s report, you can ask your solicitor for copies. You may have to pay a fee for them to obtain your file from storage depending on how long ago the care orders were made.

Our advice sheet Reuniting children in the care system with their families will give you more information.

Should you wish to discuss your situation with an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Scraggy20

Re: Can I get my kids back from.short tear Foster care

Post by Scraggy20 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi my name is *** my 4 kids which are 16 9 7 and 2 got put in Foster care 2 days ago I go back to court but I'm wanting to know how I could prove to the judge they trying to say it was neglect when they weren't andone got any idear what I need to do for the judge to let me have my kids back before July thanks

***edited by Suzie for confidentiality reasons.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am

Dear Scraggy20

Welcome to Family Rights Group’s parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, and I am an online adviser. I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties your family is having. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your post.

I think your children have only recently gone into foster care and there is now a family court case about them. You want to know how to get the children returned to your care. I am not sure if you have already had a negative PAMS assessment or are worried that it might be negative.

If you have already had the assessment, then the first thing to do is to talk to your solicitor and ask them to go through with you what the worries about your parenting are and what help or support you can get to improve the situation. You can ask your solicitor and the social worker if they can help you get an advocate to help you with the court process. If you have a learning disability you should have access to an advocate: there is more information here.

You can also ask the social worker to explain clearly what would need to be different so that the children could come home. You are right that you need information about what the professionals think you need to do so that you can care for your children safely.

Do you have family support or anyone in your network who could support you to care for the children or care for them if you cannot? There may have been a family group conference to bring everyone together to put forward a family plan. If this has not happened, you could ask for it to be set up.

Here is a short guide to care proceedings to help you.

I hope that the arrangements for you to see your children are going well. Here is an updated advice guide for parents with a child who is looked after in the care system during Covid 19 restrictions.

If might be helpful for you to talk through your situation with an adviser; if you would like to do this please call the freephone advice helpline on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm. Or you can post again with an update.

With best wishes

Suzie

Scraggy2021

Post by Scraggy2021 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi my name is *** my 4 kids got took in short team foster can in Feb my solicitor said if my mam moves out I stand more of a chance in getting the kids back.they got took due to me mam shooting at the kids and a lie from the school my house is all ways tidy never any mess left on the floors or any think we'll put it this way I'm a changed person to what I was before when I had the kids

*** moderated by Suzie to remove personal information that might identify you or your children.

Scraggy2021

Post by Scraggy2021 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm

My next court date is the 25th of June they are wanting to give my youngest daughter to my brother and my 2 kids in long term foster care I'm wanting the kids back in my care I had a Pam assesment done which came back negative but they won't tell me why and that hey don't stand by me getting my kids back into my care I need slot of help

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Dear Scraggy2021

Thank you for your further posts.

In your post you state that your solicitor has advised that your mother should move out to give you a better chance of having your children in your care. Is this something you have considered?

Do you know what specifically children’s services is worried about for the children being in your care? Are there concerns about neglect, school attendance, missed medical appointments etc? You said the school told a lie, but you do not say about what. Children’s services would have investigated any allegation made about your care of your children before any decision to remove them from your care.

You have now had a negative PAMS assessment. Have you been able to discuss this with your solicitor to see whether there is any work you can do or support offered to you to help with the things they are concerned about? Speak to your solicitor to have a better understanding of why you had a negative assessment.

The plan for your children is long term foster care and your youngest daughter living with your brother. Is the plan for your brother to have a special guardianship order for your daughter to live with him. If so, this would mean that he has parental responsibility for her but you would also have your parental responsibility although his would be above yours.

The final hearing is on 25 June. The judge will consider all the evidence in the case as well as hear evidence from witnesses before a decision is made about the children. If you want the children to be with you, your solicitor will advise you and tell the court your views and why you think your children are best with you. The judge will consider the welfare of the children and what is in their best interests long term before making a final decision about the orders to be made.

Please read this information https://frg.org.uk/get-help-and-advice/ ... t-a-child/ about what court looks at.

Should you wish to speak with an adviser about this please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie