My two kids are in care and the foster carer has assulted my daughter need help!!

Treehopper44

My two kids are in care and the foster carer has assulted my daughter need help!!

Post by Treehopper44 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

My two kids are in foster care and the carer has assulted my daughter and has been charged with it (not been to court yet) anyway I was wondering does this mean that I am allowed to go to police etc interviews with my child as I've got full parental rights and can I have my social worker (who put my kids at risk) sacked for this thanks x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My two kids are in care and the foster carer has assulted my daughter need help!!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Dear Treehopper44

Welcome to the parents discussion forum and thank you for posting.

I am very sorry to read that your daughter was assaulted in her foster placement. It appears that appropriate action has been taken as the carer has been charged in respect of the assault.

As your daughter is in foster care I assume that your daughter and other child are under a full care order. If this is the case, then children’s services has parental responsibility which they exercise over and above the parental responsibility which you continue to have. This means that children’s services has to keep you informed about decisions they make in respect of your children but you are not able to exercise full parental responsibility. It is a bit like, for example, children’s services having say, 51 per cent of parental responsibility and you only 49 per cent.

If you wish to be involved this is something you would have to discuss with the social worker but this is likely to be agreed only if it is your child’s interests for this to happen.

Please read our advice sheet about the Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system

Regarding your specific question about whether you can have the social worker sacked because you believe he or she put your child at risk. You would not, I think have a basis for as all foster carers are assessed and approved by a fostering panel before children are placed in their care. It is very unfortunate that your daughter was assaulted but I do not think young can hold the social worker responsible. No one would expect a foster carer to assault a child.

The important thing is that action is being taken by the police.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes

Suzie