Parental PR and EHCP Involvement

charmed1

Parental PR and EHCP Involvement

Post by charmed1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am

There appears to be some confusion as to whether I should receive a copy of my child's draft ECHP plan and whether I can put forward my preference for secondary education provision for her. I am invited to the review but this was flagged up by the SEN department at the LA. Just wondered as I 'share' PR with the LA that they could decide that I can't receive the paperwork or give my opinion on her next school. I attend all PEP's LAC reviews and EHCP reviews in the past.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Parental PR and EHCP Involvement

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Dear charmed1

Thanks for your further post.

I see from your post that you are confused about your position as children’s services has a care order and shares parental responsibility. The fact that children’s services has parental responsibility means that they can exercise this over and above yours but you are entitled to express your wishes and feelings in respect of issues relating to your child. This does not mean that children’s services will necessarily change their plans.

A copy of our advice sheet relating to the duties children’s services have when a child is in care.

There is no reason why you cannot have copies of minutes or reports relating to your child. If this is refused then children’s services should give a good reason for the decision.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie