What has happened??

ladyp

What has happened??

Post by ladyp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi
I am now really confused my son has been in foster care for 4 years I have fought every step of the way the original order was 4 x year contact they refused to up the contact bout then reduced it without telling me. And suddenly I now have any contact holidays etc with no boundaries and don't get me wrong I have been fighting for this for so long I'm just confused as to the literally overnight switch. Any ideas?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What has happened??

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi ladyp,

This is a very positive move forward. Have children services (social worker or independent reviewing officer) explained why? If not, you should contact the social worker and ask what the position is or you could get a copy of the minutes of the looked after children meeting, where such a decision was likely to have been made.
In one of your earlier posts, you said that children services were considering going back to court to remove the care order. Is this an increase in contact to assess how it is goes before making that decision?

Best wishes,
Suzie

ladyp

Post by ladyp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi
Well they had reduced contact without telling me based on something that had happened 2 years before and had been resolved but due to leaving my son with foster carers who mentally abused him they decided to blame me. Yes all true once he had eventually been moved there was a big difference in him then suddenly they are falling over backwards to do what should have been done years ago and saying how sorry they are. So unsure what I can do about what has happened any advice would be great thanks

ladyp

Post by ladyp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm

I have just spoken to my son who has said how he was not allowed to do things but there natural son was they had a go at him for opening Xmas presents from me and not waiting they took his x box 1 off him and said it wad to be shared with their kids etc he put up with this for 2 years he is still scared of them now what can be done about this ....hos words are they shouldn't be allowed near kids again but he has heard they are private foster carers now.advice please

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am

Dear ladyp

Thank you for your further posts.

Apologies for not responding sooner due to the volume of work at present.

I see from your post that you are concerned about how your son was treated by the previous foster carer and would like to know what you can do now. It must be difficult for you to hear from your son that he was badly treated by the foster carers who had the responsibility of giving him a good level of care.

Children’s services appear, from what you say, to accept that what was happening to your son was not your fault but due to the environment in which he was living. This is evidenced by the change in him after he was removed from the placement with the previous foster carers. They have extended their apology to you about how you were treated. If you wish complain, then you can consider whether you want to make a formal complaint about how your son’s case was handled. Please see our advice sheet regarding complaints.

Regarding the foster carers, I suggest you ask your son’s social worker for a copy of the local authority’s procedure for dealing with complaints against foster carers. You can then decide whether you want to make a formal complaint. The allegations of your complaint would need to be investigated in line with the procedure. It does not matter is the foster carers work for a private fostering agency, if they are found to be inadequate or unsafe then the local authority can inform the fostering agency that employs the foster carers about their findings.

You could also consider making contact with Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (OFSTED) for more information.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie