LAC Review Advice

outlaw_j

LAC Review Advice

Post by outlaw_j » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi people.

Currently our 11 year old daughter is in care and she has been since 2008 the adoption broke down and she has had several placements since 2008 now she is currently in a residential School setting.

They have stopped us having contract by the means of a section 34. What I would like to know it's we would like to participate in reviews it has been agreed by the court that we should be allowed to do it through Skype or a similar service due to a section 34 being in place.

They are saying it it's up to our daughter if she wants us to participate for her reviews so I would like to to know if this is true we are understanding I will respect her wishes but we feel and she is still young to make this decision. We would like to establish contact with her again be part of the reviews and let her know that she will always have a home with us because we would not like to see her in a children's home all through her teens.

I would also like to know is it compulsory for the social worker to prepare a report and given to all parties before the review date.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: LAC Review Advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Dear outlaw_ j,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

I can see that the issue of your participation at the review was considered by the court who thought that this could happen via skype.
However, children services are saying that your daughter does not want this, so it has not happened because they are respecting her wishes and feelings.
Children’s services have to consider what is in her best interests (which includes ascertaining her wishes and feelings) when making a decision not to include you.
Has she been assessed as competent to make this decision? Some 11 year olds can be. You could ask who ascertained her wishes? What choices was she given and will she be asked again before each review? Her views may change as she get older.
They should also give their reasons to you in writing. If this has not happened you could ask for this.
I hope this helps but please post again if you have need further advice.

Best wishes,

Suzie