SGO after child deceased

Ataloss-78

SGO after child deceased

Post by Ataloss-78 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi where to begin well after my daughter was placed in Sgo with a foster carer and their family has undergone a complex heart surgery and has subsequently passed away from it.
Now the foster carer is become all funny with us and saying that they are within their rights to say who can go to her funeral.
Now my understanding is that if a child dies in a sgo that the parental responsibility is reverted completely back to us.
The only thing is that I haven't a clue what to do next any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO after child deceased

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Dear Ataloss-78

Firstly please accept my condolences for your loss.

In matters relating to the burial of children and SGOs the parents are able to exercise their right to make the arrangements. A case brought before a court over a century ago (1851) and more recently reiterated in the year 1991, qualifies this. I have attached this case reference from the legal publication Hershman and Mcfarlane.

You also say that the foster carers are being ‘funny with you’, perhaps a mediator might help or offer some support at this difficult time for you all.

Best wishes

Suzie
Attachments
Hershman and Mcfarlane [47].pdf
(43.78 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Hello101

Re: SGO after child deceased

Post by Hello101 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 pm

Any updates please did you get to do the funeral