Findings of NAI - advice needed please!

sadanonfam262613

Findings of NAI - advice needed please!

Post by sadanonfam262613 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:08 pm

I would really appreciate the advice of admins and the experiences of others on this one please.

To cut an extremely long and painful story short, we're at the end of a very long court battle.
Our child sustained unexplained injuries and the case took many twists and turns and followed primarily a medical route; many abnormalities were present and investigations were ongoing throughout.
It was eventually decided that, even in spite of a multitude of medical abnormalities and diagnoses, the injuries sustained were a result of NAI and findings were made against my child's dad. We are now on an interim care order until the final welfare hearing.

As a result, I was advised by my legal team to separate from my partner and I am sole carer. I am currently having a risk assessment. However, I have many questions in relation to this that my legal team don't seem willing to assist me with.

1.) If I choose to continue a relationship with my otherwise faultless partner will I be penalised by having my child removed or will they continue to assess my understanding of the risks based on us being a couple?
2.) What is the likliehood of family reunification and timescales involved with this into the future if at the welfare hearing we remain on a care order or supervision order?

We are a good, 'no red flags' family and educated people. My child comes first but the idea of being a broken family is devastating.
This has been a traumatic time and help and advice is urgently needed.

Thank you in advance.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Findings of NAI - advice needed please!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Dear Sadanonfam262613

Thank you for your post, welcome to the Board and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

Firstly, I do suggest that you ask your solicitor what Children’s Services response might be if you suggest that you want to continue a family relationship with your partner and child. You say that you are currently being assessed and if you pass the assessment and at the final hearing it is decided that he/she should stay with you this will most likely be on the understanding that you are the sole carer and that you can safeguard your child from harm. You said that it was found that your partner harmed your child, he therefore will be considered a risk to the child.

Regarding future family reunification, there is no definitive answer to this question. If your child is in your care you will safeguard him/her. If your child is removed from your care his/her legal status will mean that another party has parental responsibility for him/her. As you say this might be under a care or supervision order, a special guardianship order; or a child arrangements order. However these orders, except the supervision order, generally last until the child is 18 years old (see our advice sheet Care and related proceedings for a more detailed explanation).

To discuss your questions further I suggest that you speak again to your solicitor or to us on our advice service as a more detailed outline of your present situation would be useful before comprehensive advice can be given.

Our confidential service is on 0808 801 0366 and is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3pm. I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie