Pro Bono Representation or advocacy

Post Reply
Frustrated Parent
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Pro Bono Representation or advocacy

Post by Frustrated Parent » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

I've just submitted an application to court for discharge of Care Order for my son. I wonder if there is anyone out that may be able to provide pro bono help with our case?

Ideally for representation, could be a trainee or other advocate.

Unfortunately I'm not entitled to legal aid :cry:

Many thanks

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Pro Bono Representation or advocacy

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Frustrated Parent,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

In order to successfully discharge a care order, you need to show:
• that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original care order was made;
• and that it is in the best interests of your son.

Have you previously put forward a rehabilitation home plan to children services via the independent reviewing officer ?

If so, was it ever assessed by children services? Often, children services will agree to rehabilitation home and will use a fast track procedure via the court which would be a lot easier for you as they will do most of the legal work.

What support do you think you and our son might need to make the rehabilitation work?
Do you have support within your friend and family network to help you parent your son?

I would also suggest reading through the written judgment of the court outlining why the care order was made; the guardians report; the social workers statements; as well as your final statement.
Look at why the judge made the care order.
What has changed? Have you completed any courses or sought any support to help you provide good enough parenting?
How much contact do you have with your son and what type of contact do you have?

For assistance during the court application, you could try:

1) the Bar Pro Bono Unit . They provide barristers to help with drafting court papers and representing you in court.
2) Law Works offer pro bono solicitors and might be able to help you.
3) Advice Now have information about going to court.

Sometimes, people may instruct a barrister by direct access (rather than via solicitors) to undertake the court hearing which may keep the cost down. Or a solicitor can be instructed for just part of the work.

You can also call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

If you have any questions or need further advice, please post again.

Best wishes,


Post Reply