Special Guardian's Role in Education

JThn

Special Guardian's Role in Education

Post by JThn » Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm

I have read several of the posts and realise that my question is minor compared with the experience of other parents and families. I am the special guardian of my ten year old grandson. I looked after him for many years but was unable to continue and he is now a section 20 accommodated child. He will remain in foster care. I get on well with the carer.

There is however a problem with social services. The social worker and her managers seem to think that they have the authority to make educational decisions. I can find no justification for this and have asked them for an explanation. So far I have had no sensible answer. Social services appear to believe that they have a say in those decisions that would normally be made by the school and the parents. They talk about corporate parents and forget that I have parental responsibility. They tell me to remember that my grandson is now a looked after child. It appears that they do not realise that he is not subject to a care order. I consult with the social worker about his education and am sensitive to the need for the carer to be part of the decision making and, in particular, the day to day decisions just as with any child.

The headteacher feels that she is now under pressure from social services and that her own decisions are being questioned. Any advice or comments from anyone with a similar experience is welcome.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Special Guardian's Role in Education

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Dear JTHn

We have a forum for friends and family carers Here . Please can you re post on that forum?

Best wishes,

Suzie

JThn

Re: Special Guardian's Role in Education

Post by JThn » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Dear Suzie,

Thank you. I have moved the post to Family and Friends Carers / Legal orders

JThn