My views are being ignored

saraheve29

My views are being ignored

Post by saraheve29 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 pm

HI my son is in foster care for over a year now. My 10 month daughter is on a supervision order soon ending in July.
I have made so many changes and have addressed all previous issues, yet social services for my son was not even made aware of the progress I've made.
I am kept away from all lac review meetings and receive the minutes always months later,
I feel full confident about meeting both of my children's needs and have proof of family support.
I am currently undergoing discharge care proceedings for my son.
Yet all of the drastic changes and improvements I've made my son's social worker has said theirs no plans of him coming home. And now he has reduced contact from monthly to Every 6 weeks.
I can't sleep and I'm in despair. Why after all the changes I've made they still cannot consider him coming home. And why am I allowed to be alone single parent of a 10 month baby yet not allowed to even be alonely with my 10 year old boy.
I'm confused and in greif, it hurts so much please may you advise me.
Last edited by saraheve29 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Can i discharge a care order if anouther child is on a supervision order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 03, 2017 11:57 am

Dear s,

Welcome back to the Parents Forum.
I am so glad to hear such good news about your baby. You had a positive parenting assessment which showed how far you have come to change things-in such a short period of time as well.

Your baby is living at home with you and children services do not have parental responsibility for your baby.

Instead, they have a supervision order, which lasts 12 months. Here is information about supervision orders .

Yes, it is certainly possible for a parent to issue an application to discharge a care order in respect of one child, even though there is a supervision order in respect of another child who is living at home.
However, you should first speak to your solicitor about this. Your solicitor will know your case well and she can advise you about timescales and the best way to approach this.

Children services can also take the case back to court to ask for a discharge of care order. Is this a possibility in your case, given how well things seem to be going?
Is your son in long term foster care? What type and amount of contact are you having with him? Is there contact between him and his sibling? Can you ask for more contact with him? How is your contact going? Has it been re- assessed recently?

Are you attending the looked after children meetings (LAC) so that you take part in the decision making about your son?

What are the views of the social worker and the independent reviewing officer about your son being rehabilitated home?
Could you ask for an assessment by children services, or those who assessed you during the most recent care proceedings, to consider your son returning home and what support is needed for this to happen?

I hope this advice helps but if you have any questions or need further advice, please post back or call our confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

saraheve29

Post by saraheve29 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi thanks Suzie I currently seeking my son once a month for 2 hours this is shared with his dad even though we are separated due to abuse I have been receiving.
The social services said they want me to bring my daughter to the contact as they want to see how I parent both children togeather.
This sounds as though they may be considering the idea but I'm not sure. The lack review is quite a while away. My solicitor said I can go back to August to try to discharge the care order but I can't disappoint myself or my son.

saraheve29

Post by saraheve29 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi I went court today. Social services are worried how I can manage two children with different needs one 10 months one 10 years.
The review officer wants to reduce contact as they say once a month is to often
I'm trying to get him home but the barrister is not filling me with confidence as she says I'll probably loose because myou daughter is still on a care order, I have so much evidence of the changes I've made, but my son's social worker said he will only look at it in court, which his done now. Ive had a positive parenting assessment for my daughter and going to have the same assessor for my son which is good. But I'm scared, any further advice

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Dear saraheve29

Thank you for posting. I have already responded to your other post.

Best wishes

Suzie

saraheve29

Post by saraheve29 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:59 pm

The social services had a review meeting the outher day and I wasn't invited. Why are they not inviting me to the review meetings.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My views are being ignored

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Dear Saraheve

Thanks for your further post and sorry that it was not answered sooner due to volume of work.

I am sorry that you were not invited to the review meeting which I assume was in respect of your son who is currently in care. Did the social worker give you any reason for not inviting you?

As a parent you should be invited to looked child after reviews (LAC) or contact reviews. I suggest you ask the social worker in writing the reason you did not receive an invitation to the meeting.

This copy of our advice sheet relating to the duties that children’s services has when a child is in care explains what should happen in respect of meetings, information for parents and contact. Hopefully this will give you the details you need about what should be done by children’s services whilst your son is in care.

You can also make contact with the independent reviewing officer (IRO) to make him or her aware of your concerns and the failure to invite you to the review meeting. If you do not know the name of the IRO you can ask the social worker.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie