Can i discharge a care order if anouther child is on a supervision order

saraheve29

Can i discharge a care order if anouther child is on a supervision order

Postby saraheve29 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 pm

HI my son was taken into foster care in August he is 9 for a variety of reasons.
At the time I was pregnant, I've managed to make lots of significant changes and have had a parenting assessment that has been positive, my baby is 4 months now,
Previously my solicitor said I can gonly back to court in August to get my son back as that would show a year of sustainable and significant change.
The problem is my baby will be on a supervision order for a year to make sure I have sustained the changes for a year for baby.
Do you think I can still try to discharge the care order for my son even if my baby is on a supervision order but living with me.any advice will really help. Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Can i discharge a care order if anouther child is on a supervision order

Postby Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 03, 2017 11:57 am

Dear s,

Welcome back to the Parents Forum.
I am so glad to hear such good news about your baby. You had a positive parenting assessment which showed how far you have come to change things-in such a short period of time as well.

Your baby is living at home with you and children services do not have parental responsibility for your baby.

Instead, they have a supervision order, which lasts 12 months. Here is information about supervision orders .

Yes, it is certainly possible for a parent to issue an application to discharge a care order in respect of one child, even though there is a supervision order in respect of another child who is living at home.
However, you should first speak to your solicitor about this. Your solicitor will know your case well and she can advise you about timescales and the best way to approach this.

Children services can also take the case back to court to ask for a discharge of care order. Is this a possibility in your case, given how well things seem to be going?
Is your son in long term foster care? What type and amount of contact are you having with him? Is there contact between him and his sibling? Can you ask for more contact with him? How is your contact going? Has it been re- assessed recently?

Are you attending the looked after children meetings (LAC) so that you take part in the decision making about your son?

What are the views of the social worker and the independent reviewing officer about your son being rehabilitated home?
Could you ask for an assessment by children services, or those who assessed you during the most recent care proceedings, to consider your son returning home and what support is needed for this to happen?

I hope this advice helps but if you have any questions or need further advice, please post back or call our confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

saraheve29

Re: Can i discharge a care order if anouther child is on a supervision order

Postby saraheve29 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi thanks Suzie I currently seeking my son once a month for 2 hours this is shared with his dad even though we are separated due to abuse I have been receiving.
The social services said they want me to bring my daughter to the contact as they want to see how I parent both children togeather.
This sounds as though they may be considering the idea but I'm not sure. The lack review is quite a while away. My solicitor said I can go back to August to try to discharge the care order but I can't disappoint myself or my son.

Return to “Do you have a child in care?”