Getting my son out of long term foster care

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Getting my son out of long term foster care

Post by ShellyG » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 pm

2008 I had my 3 children taken Away from me for neglect(state of my home)
2010 it was determined younger two would live with my mum (who I take every weekend) and my special needs child goes to foster care, I see him for over night stays one a month supervised by my mother, recently he has expressed wanting to come and live with me, so I mentioned to spend time with him alone at his lac review and they were open to it
BUT THE FOSTER CARER is resistant she won't have contact with me, everything I do has to be through my mum then to the foster carer, I feel she is going to make things real difficult for me
I have never been deemed a risk to anyone, so how can this be resolved?
How can I get my son back home!?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2110
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Getting my son out of long term foster care

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Dear ShellyG

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that you have not received a response to your post sooner.
I am sorry that you are feeling so worried and upset about the foster carer who is looking after your son.

As your son is in long term foster care, this means that he is subject to a care order and the local authority share parental responsibility for him. It is the local authority who makes decisions regarding your son, where he will live and who he has contact with. In your post you say that the foster carer is resistant to having contact with you, there is really no obligation on the foster carer to meet with you, although it would be good if you and the foster carer were able to have a good working relationship.

Whether or not you are able to have your son returned to your care is not for the foster carer to decide. It would be helpful for you to ask the social worker to carry out an assessment of you with a view to your son returning to your care. If the social worker is not prepared to do so, then you can make an application to the court to discharge the care order. You should speak with your son’s independent reviewing officer (IRO) about your concerns and your wish to have your son returned to your care. In this way, you will get a view as to whether he or she considers it to be in your son’s best interest.

Also, it is important that you consider the judgment given at the time the care order was made for your son. You will need to make sure that the concerns that court had about your care of him and any other issues, have been addressed. There would really be no point in making an application to the court if there has not been a significant change in relation to the matters which were of concern in the care proceedings. I have included here a copy of our advice sheet about reuniting children with their family.

Do you attend your son's looked after child review (LAC) meetings? If so, you can raise your concerns there as well and your wish for your son's return to you care to be considered.

Children services has certain duties when a child is in care and you can get more information from our advice sheet which is here

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful,

Best wishes


Post Reply