Children's services might be moving my son

ladyp

Children's services might be moving my son

Post by ladyp » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi
I had a phone call about my son who is in long term care. He was trying to self harm at school as he said no-one listens to me, his s.w has said she thinks something is not right with his placement, but is unsure what. I then had another call from the new manager of children's services saying she wanted to meet me ASAP about my son, I think it is about his placement and because the last manger reduced contact for no reason, I am just in limbo as I don't know what the problem with my son is. I know his s.w is looking at moving him what are they doing to my son as I'm concerned for his safety now.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Children's services might be moving my son

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Dear ladyp

Thank you for posting again on the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

I am sorry that you are feeling so worried and concerned about your son who has been placed in long term foster care. It must be very distressing for your to learn that your son has been self-harming as he must be feeling unhappy and confused about his situation especially as you say he does not feel he is being listened to.

It might help if your son had an advocate who can help him to get his voice heard. You should speak to the independent reviewing officer (IRO) or better still put in writing your concerns and ask for an advocate for your son. I do not know your son’s age but there are organisations that you could contact to get advice about an advocate for your son NYAS and Coram Voice

Children services have specific duties to children in their care and a copy of our advice sheet is here for you to read about the duties they have.

Although children services have a care order and can make decisions about your son and where he should live, you still have parental responsibility and should be informed and consulted when they are making plans about him. If they consider that his current placement is not appropriate for his needs then children services can decide to place him in a more appropriate placement. You should ask the reasons for the move and what concerns they have about current foster placement.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do call our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie

ladyp

Re: Children's services might be moving my son

Post by ladyp » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 pm

I spoke to the s.w etc and the concerns are with the carers. They are sending him on holiday for a rew weeks to give them time to find a replacement. And again it will be just before he starts school in September he knows nothing that is going on until the day he leaves (nest Tuesday) they have now admitted that any anxieties are due to carers and not me. But I still have to wait until they decide to have yet another meeting to up contact after they reduced it. And he has an advocate but I think he has been made to feel that he can't say anything (carers??) he will get to see his brother in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed he will actually talk to him.