Really dont know where to turn

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

Really dont know where to turn

Post by Crankya » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi my child was taken into foster care 3 years ago i still have partenal rights but she has been saying for the last 3 years she does not want to see me .the social worker has notthing to do with me as well i have never been to a care plan or school partent evening .i really dont know what she likes .i find out that she has been on 4 hoildays out of the country which i thought they needed my contest to i really dont know what i can do i put complant after complant in .they must be something her social worker can do as 3 years is a long time away from her .please help its making me so ill all i want is to see my child

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2285
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Really dont know where to turn

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Dear Crankya,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum.

I am sorry to hear that your daughter has been in foster care for 3 years and you have not had any contact with her and have not even been consulted about her care plan. You have heard that your daughter has been out of the country on holidays without your knowledge or consent.
I can understand why you are so upset not to be kept informed about your daughter. But also, as a parent with legal parental responsibility, you should be involved in the decisions that are made about your daughter. However, if your daughter is old enough and competent to make her own decisions she could ask that you are not told or consulted. Could this be the situation? How old is your daughter? If that was the case the social worker should told you so.

It seems that children services are saying your daughter does not want to see you and they are following her wishes and feelings.

As your daughter is under a care order, your daughter should have reasonable contact with you unless there is a court order saying contact to be in the discretion of the local authority or saying no contact. Can you check the court orders that were made at the time?

If contact is in the discretion of children services, they should still regularly consult with both your daughter and with you about contact taking place. Has this happened?
The plan for contact (or no contact) should be written down and reviewed at the Looked After Children (LAC) review. However, it also looks like you have not been consulted about other aspects of your daughter’s care plan or been invited to the LAC review.

A LAC review takes place within 4 weeks of your daughter going to live with a foster carer (or care home). Then 3 months later. Then every 6 months. If there are major problems in the foster care placement or the placement breaks down, then there can be an emergency LAC review.

Have you been in touch with the independent reviewing officer (IRO)? That person's job is manage your daughters care plan. If there are problems with the care plan then the IRO can take a care plan up with senior management or further.

Here is information about care plans and independent reviewing officers .

What could you do?

I suggest you email the social worker and her manager. If they do not get back to you with 2 weeks, then you should contact the independent reviewing officer.
In the email you could ask the following:
• It is still the case that your daughter does not want to see you?
• When was she asked about contact?
• Could they work with your daughter to promote contact?
• What should you do to work towards having future contact with your daughter? For example, can you send her presents or cards? Can they assess you?
• Is she having contact with the other parent or any of the extended family? If so, what are the arrangements?
• If not, is there an independent visitor visiting your daughter?
• Does your daughter have an advocate?
• Why have they not consulted you about your daughters care plan such as her holidays?

If you do not get a response from the independent reviewing officer, you should contact his/her manager.

If there is no movement forward, then you should seek legal advice from your solicitor about going to court for a contact order.

I hope this advice helps but if you have any questions, please post back or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Post Reply