INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Heartbrokenmom1606

INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Post by Heartbrokenmom1606 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on ISW assessments. My son has been under an ICO for 17 weeks due to my previous children being removed and myself, my partner and my brother being left in the pool of perpitrators 7 years ago. I just need some advice as to whether one of these independent assessments can turn things around. We have made considerable changes to our lives and just want my boy home! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORK ASSESSMENT

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Dear Heartbrokenmom1606,

I am glad to hear that you have made positive changes and that you want them to be properly assessed.

An independent social worker assessment is when a social worker who does not work for the local authority is instructed to carry out a social worker assessment. The court would need to direct such an assessment and a copy of the court bundle would be sent to the independent social worker. You would expect to see the independent social worker’s CV and letter of instruction.
An independent social worker might be instructed if an assessment needs to be done quickly and there is no one available in the local authority to do it. Or if a parent or other party question the independence or quality of the work of the social worker, then an independent social worker might be appropriate.
Sometimes, if a case is complex or covers a situation that is less common, then an independent social worker with the expertise may be instructed.
In your case, it seems there is contention about you being part of a pool of perpetrators 8 years ago, and how that fits in to the current assessment. It may make sense to instruct a social worker with experience in cases of non-accidental injury, for example.

You should check with your solicitor why an independent social workers are appointed on your case.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Heartbrokenmom1606

Post by Heartbrokenmom1606 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I know why we have the assessments. The local authority's assessments were flawed and we fought to get an independent assessment. I just wanted some advice from others who have had an ISW involved and whether it's helped their cases as I am hoping and praying these assessments will bring my son home.
Thankyou for replying

FastSnatch

Post by FastSnatch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:54 am

Dear heartbroken mum.
I and my wife had a Parenting assessment from the L.A regarding our house conditions. To cut a long story short the Assessment was negative. My wife followed this up with allegations of abuse on my part towards her and my daughter. My lawyer argued and obtained an Independent Social Worker Assessment for me. The assessment asked for certain provisions to be undertaken by myself and then stated that I could care for my daughter in a part / full time capacity. On the other hand my wife has failed hers.

My child's grandparents who are well off with their own beautiful home have put in for a S.G.O. The problem that I am facing is both the S.W and the Guardian are supporting the Grandparents application for their S.G.O. regardless of the I.S.W. positive support.

If you are getting an I.S.W. Assessment I would first ask the court officials what difference a positive or negative assessment would make. I would put emphasis on what difference a positive assessment would make before the assessment had started. It is my belief that these assessments are often only accepted by the court officials if they are in line with their desired outcome. An I.S.W. although costing the government time and money can be totally worthless.

All The Best.

km2115

Post by km2115 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi,

I had a positive experience with an ISW, they were totally impartial from the LA/social services and were encouraging and supportive throughout my assessment. I was very happy when she confirmed my assessment had been positive, with a few recommendations ie parent classes and she wrote a very balanced report to the court and social services. Originally social services wanted to appoint a particular ISW to do the assessment but my solicitor argued to the judge for the court to appoint one and I believe having the court appoint the ISW is the most impartial way of obtaining a fully independent parent assessment. I can only speak of my own experience with ISW and it was a very positive experience but I would make sure you have a solicitor and ask the solicitor to ask the court to appoint the ISW. Be truthful at all times as If you are not truthful they will say you are not being open and honest and that they will not be able to put trust in you to open and honest with them through the assessment and in the future. I worked hard to show I was willing to do anything required of me, a lot of which I initiated myself even before my parent assessment outcome and recommendations and I went above and beyond what was recommended to show my commitment to my children and to working with social services.

My initial social worker on the other hand was a nightmare but the ISW recognised the failings of the social worker and I believe this also helped during my assessment. When I explained what the social worker was doing to the ISW, ie not returning my calls, not supplying documents, ignoring information I was supplying, I explained this without being abusive about the social worker, without giving a judgement as to why the social worker was being this way, being respectful at all times and without once raising my voice or giving attitude, I believe this was helpful during my parent assessment. As emotional as the process can be, the more you are able to remain calm and be prepared to work with everyone the more positive you will come across as a parent and being prepared to put your children first. That being said, we informed our solicitor at the end of the care order court process that I would be willing to work with the LA and any social worker they wished to appoint as my daughter was returned to my care, albeit with social services keeping an eye on us, I did say we would not work with this particular social worker going forward and set out our reasons, we concluded that we no longer had faith in the social worker and we would not be able to work with them in the future.

My daughter has been living with me for the last year and social services are revoking the care order. Our new social worker is supportive and we have a good relationship, there are a few things I am not entirely happy with but in fairness to our social worker I am not convinced the decisions on some of my requests have been down to her. My son is still with a carer at the moment as he has special needs and there has been a lot more work to do around him hopefully being able to return to me on a staggered return. I have almost completed my parent assessment for my son but the last piece of work we need to do has been on hold due to pandemic and not having had face to face contact for nearly a year now apart from 3 x 1 hour sessions outdoors, my contact is normally unsupervised at my home with an overnight stay. I work well with the carer and have a good relationship with them, this also helps when social services are looking at how I work with them and other agencies involved with us as they will want to see you can work collaboratively with everyone in your children's best interest and that you are putting your children first above all else.

So I would say don't give up but ensure you ask your solicitor to request the judge to appoint the ISW for your case, as I personally believe when social services want to appointment the ISW they may not be truly impartial. The ISW my initial social worker wanted to appoint was known to her and I don't think that is fully impartial person and would not have been an impartial parent assessment.

Good luck with getting your children back and don't give up.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Dear km2115
Welcome back to the Parent’s Forum. Thank you for sharing the positive outcome you had, after an independent social worker assessment. Thank you for your helpful tips to other parents on the forum.
Kind regards,
Suzie