Breaching a child protection plan

Tphil

Breaching a child protection plan

Post by Tphil » Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Its going to a conference and can they decide after if it goes to court ? I am going to everything theyve asked and more but i have lied before and now cant believe me

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Breaching a child protection plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Tphil

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

The purpose of a child protection plan is to protect children without going to court.

So most child protection plans will ensure that children are protected and there will be no court proceedings.
So if as you say, you will fully cooperate with the plan, then I would not expect children services to go to court.

However, if you breached a child protection plan then children services might seek legal advice about going to court.

Have a look at our FAQ’s about child protection. .

I am glad that you are now working with the social worker and have made a resolve not to lie anymore. Hopefully, over time, you will be able to build up a good level of trust again.

If you have any questions, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Kqueenxo

Post by Kqueenxo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi there, my daughter is on a child protection plan has been for several months now. The services got involved due to A LOT of anonymous phone calls, very malicious. We know they are from his ex. Anyway they eventually got noted down as malicus calls, however they resulted in full police checks. My partner has a past mostly alcohol/drug fuelled from when he was younger so I had to sign to say he could be around my daughter while they did all the assessments so on. All going well and he is attending courses. However I have breached the cp order. The snow was awful and I got stranded with my daughter I had rang everyone possible to try collect us including taxis and none could get to us. So I rang my partner and he got us in the 4 x4 and we stayed at his mums as we tried to get home and couldn’t. It was not a desiciom I took lightly And I was petrified when they said they will be seeking legal advice so I split with my partner. It didn’t result in going to court. My question now would be if I got back with my partner what would happen? We have progressed so far I feel this is a massive set back and I’m devestated

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Dear Kqueenxo

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board.

Your post states that you had number a malicious calls made to children’s services and some were accepted as malicious but children’s services took action and made safeguarding checks which had led to your daughter being on a child protection plan.

The safeguarding concerns appear to be related to your partner’s history although you do not exactly what he did which was fuelled by alcohol and drugs. It appears that what was found was serious enough for children’s services to ask that agree not to have your daughter around your partner until they had completed what I assume to be risk assessments of your partner. Children’s services’ expectation is that you would be protective of your daughter and keep to the agreement. A child protection plan means that you should do what is asked of you to keep your daughter safe.

Unfortunately, you failed to adhere to the child protection plan and although you have given an explanation as to why this happened, children’s services may not accept this and be of the view that you have misled or deceived them by not sticking to the agreement. Our advice sheet relating to Child protection procedures will give you more information about the process.

If you intend to resume your relationship with your partner then it is important that you are open with the social worker about this and ask that a risk assessment of your partner is carried out if it has not already been done. It is important that you engage in an open and honest way with children’s services otherwise you may not be seen as a protective factor for your daughter.

I note that you said you split from your partner because you were told that children’s services would be seeking legal advice. It is normal for this to happen as they need to know that there is enough evidence to meet the threshold criteria. This means:

A court can only make certain orders about a child, like care, supervision or adoption orders, if it is satisfied that, when Children’s Services first got involved in protecting the child, s/he was suffering or was likely to suffer significant harm, and that the harm was due to the parents’ care not being what is normally expected of a parent.
Once the court decides this is true, it goes on to decide if it’s best for the child to make an order.

It does not mean that they will definitely be going to court but there is the possibility. Having split from your partner did you think this would mean that the concerns for the child protection plan no longer exist? You cannot separate in the hope that the case will close and resume the relationship afterwards, it would simply lead to children’s services being involved at a later date. As stated above, be clear with children’s services that you wish to work with them and do what is necessary to show that you can protect your daughter. Your partner may also need to do work children’s services to address the concerns they have about him.

You could ask for a meeting with the social worker and team manager to discuss what you wish to do regarding your relationship with your partner. It is important that you work openly and honestly with children's services.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie