SS want to put children on Register

Amy75

SS want to put children on Register

Post by Amy75 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:58 pm

I have 2 children one 13 who is special needs and one 11. Recently I have been visited by social workers who want to put my children on the The Child Protection Register unless I do as they say. I am a concerned and frightened because I do not abuse my children, they are fed and clothed. My only 'crime' is that I have an untidy house which I am sorting out. There has been no mention of a conference. Please could you advise about my rights as a parent in this case.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SS want to put children on Register

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Amy

Sorry you are having a difficult time. Thanks for posting; I hope I’ll be able to help you.

Just to clarify, there no such thing as an “at risk register.” It is now called a Child Protection Plan (CPP) and a child can be made subject to a CPP when they are at risk from suffering from continuing significant harm as a result of either physical harm, emotional harm, sexual abuse or neglect. The plan will contain a number of points about what needs to happen to make sure that the child is protected in the future.

There are a number of stages that Children’s Services (CS), which used to be called Social Services, need to go through before a CPP can be made. I shall briefly outline the whole process here and link you to some of our advice sheets, for you to read in your own time.

Once CS receive a referral and decide they need to investigate further they must complete an initial investigation within 10 working days. CS will look at your children’s needs and whether you are able to meet them, whether they are safe and does anything need to be done to protect them. The Social Worker (SW) should speak to you and your children and it normal for a SW to speak to children alone. CS will also contact other professionals involved with the children, for example school and GP. After looking into all of this the SW will decide how to proceed. If they still have concerns of some kind and it is thought that the children are “in need” of support services and they will undertake a core assessment, which must be completed within 35 working days.

The core assessment is a more in-depth assessment of the children’s needs, your ability to meet those needs and what services will assist the children. It should also include the wider family and how they can offer support. You should be kept fully informed of all that is going on through this process by the SW. Likewise it is always best if the family are open and honest with the SW and work co-operatively with him/her. You are much more likely to achieve a positive outcome this way. If the child is found to be “in need” a plan will be drawn up setting out what services will be offered, to support the family. Do be aware that a disabled child can automatically be classed as a child in need if you want help for them from CS. Here is our Family Support Services advice sheet for more information.

At any point during the process if it comes out that the children are suffering, or likely to suffer from, significant harm CS will lead a meeting called a Strategy Discussion with the other professionals, including the police, to decide if child protection enquiries are necessary, how they will be carried out and by whom. None of the family will be involved in this part of the process, it is only for professionals. If there are concerns then a Child Protection Conference will be held to decide whether the children should be put on a CPP.

The Child Protection Conference will be chaired by a person who is independent of the team you are working with. As well as the SW and his/her manager, the other professionals involved with your children will be there. Each person, including you gets an opportunity to put their concerns and points of view forward. You can also take an advocate to the meeting with you for support. It is then for the professionals to make recommendations to the Chair as to whether a CPP should be made. You do not get to make a decision. The Chair will take into account what has been said and decide whether or not to make a plan. They will then make recommendations as to what should go into the CPP which will be reviewed at subsequent meetings. For more information about this process please have a look at our child protection advice sheet.

If you have any more questions about your involvement with CS and want to talk about these, then either post again or please call our free, confidential advice line to speak to one of our advisors. The number is 0808 801 0366 and the line is open Monday to Friday from 9.3am to 3.30pm.

I wonder if any of the other users on the board are or have been in a similar position and can share their experiences?

Best wishes

Suzie

saddadandy

Re: SS want to put children on Register

Post by saddadandy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:31 pm

sorry to hear this google child stealing by the state read more to be reassured
Amy75 wrote:I have 2 children one 13 who is special needs and one 11. Recently I have been visited by social workers who want to put my children on the The Child Protection Register unless I do as they say. I am a concerned and frightened because I do not abuse my children, they are fed and clothed. My only 'crime' is that I have an untidy house which I am sorting out. There has been no mention of a conference. Please could you advise about my rights as a parent in this case.
We support mums and dads when there children are taking in to care to find justice blogging site.

http://www.parentsinjusticegroupscotland.co.uk