Not sure what is happening or what to do!

gizmologic

Not sure what is happening or what to do!

Post by gizmologic » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi there

Basically long story short social services were called about some bruising to my daughters ears and cheek. They believe I've hurt her (which I would never ever do!) And put her in the care of her father whilst under police investigation. So far the police have taken statements and haven't really done anything.

I was allowed supervised contact during this time to which her father has decided and told them that because me and him don't get on, he refuses to supervise contact even over Skype. We arranged someone else to supervise contact and when this was going to happen he's taken her to Kent to live with his parents while this is going on so I can't see her.

They've said there's nothing they can do apart from try to sort supervised contact but with being about 4 hours away from her now it is impossible and no one at his parents will supervise contact. I've spoken to a solicitor and they advised to go for private law proceedings but social services seem to think this is pointless while it's going on.

It's been 6 weeks since she was taken and 4 since I've seen her altogether. Where do I go from here as her father is now getting all benefits for her and I'm losing my house and everything because of him doing this whilst it's going on. Surely there's something that can be done regarding it but I'm really unsure.

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Not sure what is happening or what to do!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Dear gizmologic,

Welcome to the parents forum. I am sorry to hear that your daughter has suffered bruising and that there is a police investigation.

Do you know the timescales for the police investigation? Have you been given a copy of the social workers assessment? It might take some months before the police know whether they will prosecute you or not. Even if the police decide to take no further action against you, children services will still want to assess whether it is safe for your daughter to return to you.

Here is some information about the
child protection process

I am also sorry that contact is not happening at the moment. Children’s services seem to have assessed that contact between you and your daughter is in her best interests yet they are not supporting this to happen.
I think it is important that you push for this help with contact. It may be many months before the police make a decision.

You could ask the social worker (in writing) to set up supervised contact? If dad’s family is not willing, can it be supervised at a contact centre? Do you know any other friends or family who could supervise? Can children services help with travelling costs? Get them to confirm their response in writing. if it is negative, you could always challenge their decision by way of complaint.

As your solicitor says, you could also think about starting private law proceedings for contact.
I cannot give you detailed advice about private law contact. You could contact the children legal centre for advice.

Here is our advice sheet about what happens to benefits when your child goers to live with someone else

If you have any questions or need further advice, please post back.

Best wishes,

Suzie

gizmologic

Post by gizmologic » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Suzie

We had a written agreement and he backed out of that by stopping supervision so we all agreed someone else to supervise and when tthat went through he decided to take her down to Kent where no one will supervise. Social workers have said they won't do anything because she's safe as he can do whatever at this minute. The only thing they've said is that they can try push it but he has the final say.

In regards to the investigation, they've specified it could take 26 weeks and then a further 26 weeks depending on what the police say, but there's no evidence besides a medical report which is wrong and has been advised of these things are wrong. They won't give me any details of updates or how long things are or what processes they're doing etc. They just say there's only so much we can do every time I call.

They just don't seem to be thinking about what's best for my daughter but more legally what they can and can't do.

Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:21 am

Dear gizmologic

Thank you for posting again.

Does your child’s father share parental responsibility? He will if he is on your daughter’s birth certificate or you were married to each other at the time she was born. If he does share parental responsibility for your daughter, then all Children Services can do is encourage contact as it appears they tried to do with the written agreement.

As previously advised, you should ask the social worker for support to ensure that you are able to have contact with your daughter even if this is at a contact centre. Children Services do not share parental responsibility but because they are investigating what happened to your daughter can say for safeguarding purposes that she should not be in your care.

I am not sure whether it is the police investigation or children services which you have been told will take 26 weeks. Please read the information that you were sent in the previous post about child protection procedures. The child protection enquiries should be completed in 45 days. The 26 weeks’ timescale refers to the period it should take for care proceedings to be completed, if children services applied for a care order.

If you are not getting information from the social worker, then I suggest that you make a request in writing to the social worker and send a copy to his or her Team Manager as well.

How do you know the medical report is wrong, have you had a doctor’s advice on this?

I do hope you will be able to see you daughter very soon.

Should you wish to speak to an Adviser about Children Services involvement, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Best wishes,

Suzie