Whats it like being on Child In Need?

Bee*

Whats it like being on Child In Need?

Post by Bee* » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:10 am

Went to the conference on Monday, and theyre having another one in 3 months time, as they cant take us off the Child Protection Plan when we are in PLO (the next PLO meeting is last week, the social worker says that this one or the next one after that will be the last), and they are still awaiting the results of the parenting assessment and the psychological assessment (psychological assessment is ready now, its been sent to my solicitor for her to read it with me, because my social worker is busy writing up the parenting assessment she did in time for the PLO meeting).

My social worker says everything is going really well, and we likely wont be on Child Protection for much longer, just one or two more conferences for me to survive (had a panic attack at the last two), but the family will likely need supporting for a while longer on Child In Need as although I am not a bad parent, in fact, she says I am doing really well, the family is complicated as I am on the autism spectrum and have my own needs and all of the kids are seeing at least one person-speech therapist, dietician, CAMHS etc.

Whats it like being on Child In Need? Ive read the information on here, but what I really want to know is the practical kind of things like the frequency of meetings (please at least be no more conferences), social worker visits, stuff like that, that affect our daily life?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Whats it like being on Child In Need?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:23 am

Dear Beth

Thanks for posting again.

It is good to see that things are more settled for you and you are getting on so much better now despite still being involved in the child protection process.

Regarding your question about what it is like being on child in need, this will really depend on what support it is decided you and your family need. Where there is a child in need plan, this can involve having support such as family support worker, help with contact. It will really depend on the children’s assessed needs. I have included a copy of our advice sheet relating to family support here for your information. Pages 13 and 14 set out the sort of things for which support can be provided.

The child in need plan which is drawn up will set out what is expected of you as well as other professionals or agencies. It is difficult to say what a Plan for you family will involve in relation to visits since it will be based on the assessed needs so as to ensure a child/ren needs in respect of health, education etc are being met.

Once the assessments which you mention are still being carried out are concluded then it will be for the review child protection conference to decide when the children will be removed from child protections plans.

I suggest that you continue to cooperate and work with the social worker and other professionals for the best outcome for your family.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Bee*

Post by Bee* » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 am

Does it at least mean no more conferences. I don't mind the regular meetings now I have a social worker who is actually helping me, in fact, its helpful having everyone in the same place and up to date on what is going on, but I just really hate conferences. Theyre too long and make me anxious.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 am

Dear Beth

It is really good that you now feel that things are working well and everyone is at the same place.

To give you a quick answer, if the children are on Child in Need Plans then you will not be having review conferences in the same as on a child protection plans. There will be review child in need meetings so ensure plan is working out and to check if the need for support changes etc.

Please look at the advice sheet which was posted in the previous response for more details.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie

Bee*

Post by Bee* » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Are the review meetings still a million hours long and super serious and scary sounding?