Psychological assessment?

Bee*

Psychological assessment?

Post by Bee* » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:31 pm

As part of the PLO process, we are having a psychological assessment done. The appointment for my part in it will be in 2 weeks time.

Has anyone had this done and what should I expect, what kind of things do they ask?

Im worried about it, both about me coming across as weird and crazy as well as the kids dad (who is also my stepdad) coming across as normal, cause actually its the opposite. I may be on the autistic spectrum and have anxiety, and that is something that is very obvious to everyone who meets me, especially new people or in situations where I am anxious, but he doesn't have any diagnosed mental health issues, although from my experiences of his bad side, I am certain hes a sociopath. From what I have heard about his upbringing, although his parents are enablers of his lazy lifestyle, they are total neat freaks, and likely didn't abuse him or anything. I was abused as a child (BY HIM), and my childhood home was overcrowded and not entirely clean, and my mum didn't give us as much boundaries or routines as parents are supposed to. I come across as dysfunctional, but he can play normal, and I am worried that they will think he is the sane, responsible, non dysfunctional one.

Theyre also doing a parenting assessment, but that will be okay, its my social worker who is doing it, in my home-a familiar place, familiar person, and familiar cats, which always helps.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Psychological assessment?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Beth,
Please see the link to psychological assessments in my earlier post on your thread "I don't feel that my concerns are being taken seriously."

Suzie

Bee*

Re: Psychological assessment?

Post by Bee* » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:29 pm

I am not crazy, lol :D

Got the results yesterday. It is really positive about me. I was open and honest with the psychologist, I had a good insight into what the issues are, both the professionals concerns, and the children's own needs, I genuinely love the kids and am warm with them and don't want to let them down. I try my hardest for them, and any concerns they have are not because I don't care or are not trying hard enough, but that I need support to help me with it. The only things that came out weren't new-I have anxiety and Aspergers :)

The kids dad tried to lie to the psychologist. He came out as unrealistically perfect and was very defensive when asked difficult questions and it was even noted that he minimised even common shortcomings every person has and seemed to try and make himself look better. He also minimised every issue the children had and said they didn't need it but he is just going along with it, and said that there is no issues with his parenting, its me that the concerns are about. He also lied about his drinking, no way has he not touched an alcoholic drink in years, he once couldn't take the kids to summer holiday club because he was hungover after a night at the pub. He also denied doing all of the sexually abusive things he did to me, and said I was lying because I didn't want him to take the kids away...but maybe along with all the other stuff that came out in his psychological assessment, theyre more likely to believe me now, as I felt our former social worker did not.

The psychologist is happy with the current arrangements of the kids living with me and sleeping at their dad's two nights a week.

I am sure that him lying to the psychologist wont ruin things, right? Our social worker seemed very happy with how positive it was about me, and says I have done really well on the parenting assessment too. She will show me it tomorrow when she picks me up to take me to the PLO meeting. Anyway, they live with me, they will stay living with me, and their dad doesn't matter as much and his lies are less important because he only has them overnight twice a week.