Advice on child returning home from s20

anon0381

Advice on child returning home from s20

Post by anon0381 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Is there any limits on the time they can keep s20 ongoing?
Should i have signed another agreement when my son returned home from s20?
I am now transferred to the child and family team and wondered where i legally stand with my s20... can i end it?
My kids were safeguarded pending a police investigation which as now ended and i had worse outcome as i was charged and awaiting trial...the thing is that i was set up by a officer and am innocemt..i had a complaint officially recorded by police standards regarding this and is ongoing investigation against police..i am basically where i am due to my complaint i believe..i dont worry as i cant get sentenced in crown court on a offence i did not do and must have faith in justice system...
CS played their part in all this i know for a fact ..but weird thing is that when i showed my social worker the letter from police standards showing my complaint of corruption is being investigated and has officially been recorded...next day i have supervision lifted and out of hours come to a end and then 2 days later my eldest son was returned home, baring in mind i was allowed a hour a week in contact centre for six months and then suddenly returned home...while the investigation was still ongoing also. Im not complaining this is best news ever for me! There was a PLO (2nd one that is) which was postponed untill investigation ended which was august 3rd...social worker says that theres no need of another PLO when she discussed with her manager and didnt feel any further involvememt was need from them, but had to put it passed their CS lawyer but wont b a problem...i asked for 2 weeks for this to be confirmed in writing to no avail and finally social worker said that they was now keeping things as they are and postponing PLO until after the trial now which if dont get kicked out of court on next hearing it will b a long trial...i signed a new written agreement on my son who had supervsion removed but not been asked to sign anything with regards to my eldest rwturn home which has been since around 20th july... what do u think is going on or i should do please? This just isnt adding up x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice on child returning home from s20

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Dear anon0381

Welcome back to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

I am sorry that you are having a confusing time at the moment regarding Children Services involvement with your sons.

It must be a very difficult time for you having to deal with both a criminal case and Children Services.

With regard to your question about a s.20 and whether you can end it, the answer is that this is a voluntary agreement, it is possible to withdraw your consent for your child to be accommodated. However, you should not make this decision without taking advice from your solicitor. If you withdraw your consent to s.20, this could lead to Children Services making an application for a care order if they consider that is the best way to safeguard your child. An interim care order would mean that the local authority share parental responsibility with you. They do not have parental responsibility under a s.20. only an agreement that your child is accommodated by Children Services.

It is possible for s.20 to be in place for a long time and there is no specific time limit. However, good practice would be for proper plans to be made for a child long term care rather than s.20 but this will depend on the particular circumstances of the case.
You say that you eldest son was returned to your care in circumstances which you consider ‘weird’. However, it may be that Children Services were already working towards a return home and this coincided with you meeting with the social worker. Anyway, I am sure you are very happy to have your child at home with you.

Regarding the decision to postpone the PLO meeting rather that close the case, is probably because their lawyer consider that it is more appropriate to keep the situation as it is now. Depending on the outcome of your trial, decisions may have to be made about what will happen to the children and who will care for them if you are not able to.

The written agreement you signed I assume relates to what Children Services expect you to do or not to do relating to your son. As your eldest son has returned home, that means that the s.20 came to a natural end and you will only need to sign a further s.20 if Children Services wanted to remove him from your care. If there were concerns about your eldest son being at home with you then it is likely that you would have been asked to sign a written agreement for him as well.

I am including a here copy of our advice sheet relating to the duties that Children Services have when a child is in the care system. Your son who is subject to the s.20 at present is a looked after child. Please also read our advice sheet relating to family support from page 15 onwards for more information about accommodation.

I hope you will find this information help. However, should you wish to speak to an Adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie