Initial assesment opened on my children help please

cariad

Initial assesment opened on my children help please

Post by cariad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi I had a phonecall from childrens services last Thursday advising me some allegations have been made about my partner from his son who is on the at risk register in a different borough due to neglect from his mother. My partner immediately left the house when these claims came to light to avoid stress to myself and my children. Childrens services came out to see me on friday and started the IA. She adviced me she will be back out today (wednesday) to speak to my 7yr old daughter on her own.
The allegations made have been looked into by the police by they have not decided to take them any further and partner has not even been questioned about them by the police. My life has been turned upside down. I am a student studying health and social care level 3 and I am doing subjects about child protection. I am running for county borough council in May 2012 and I am the president for my college students union. My children compete on the world stage for dance and they are very active and most of my social life evolves around them.
My partners son has ADHD, epilepsy and learning difficulties and has made false allegations about other family members in the past. I am confused constantly on edge that social services will take my children away even though they are not and have never been put at risk. I adore them so much. We have built a good stable relationship as a family and now the children are missing my partner and this is upsetting them. Children services have said just because there is no prove he has done anything, doesn't mean he has. I am absolutely gob smacked by this as anyone can maliciously tear up a perfectly good family and put them through hell as children services only see the worse.
Can anyone help me to understand why this is happening and what view children services will take and any action they will take if my partner returns to the family.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Initial assesment opened on my children help please

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Dear Cariad,

I am sorry to hear about the stressful situation that you and your family are experiencing at the moment.
As you have said-children’s services have started an initial assessment to investigate the allegation that has been made against your partner. Here is a link to our advice sheet about child protection which sets out what happens during a child protection investigation.Child Protection
I want to highlight the following:
Initial assessment
This is an information gathering exercise and should be completed within 10 working days. It is quite possible, given the police are closing their case, that children services will also close their case at the end of the initial assessment, next week. At this stage you should receive a copy of the report.
During the assessment they will, as you say, speak to you about your family and they are also speaking to your daughter today. They may wish to speak to her alone and they should discuss this with you before doing so. The social worker will also want to speak to professionals involved with your daughter-such as the school, GP.
The assessment will focus on the following:
• What are your child’s needs?
• Which of those needs are being met and how, and which needs are not being and met and why not?
• Are you as parents able to meet your child’s needs?
• What effect does your family lifestyle, past and present, and your wider family, have on your capacity to meet your child’s needs?
• Is your child safe, and are you able to look after your child’s health and development?
• Is action needed to protect or promote your child’s welfare?
• What external factors influence your ability to parent your child and the child’s development?

Cooperation between you and children’s services
I am glad that you are cooperating with children’s services-and would advise you to continue to do so. They should also work in partnership with you -explaining what they are doing and what they are concerned about as well as telling you about the timescales of the investigations. If you have any questions then you should be able to ask the social worker or her manager and they should be truthful with you about what is happening and consult you at each stage.
I think it was helpful that your partner did leave the family home as this was cooperative and showed consideration for the safely of your daughter. But he should also be asking for timescales of when a decision will be made about whether it is safe for him to return to the family home.

Although the police are not pursuing any criminal case against your partner –to obtain a criminal conviction the balance of proof is very high- it is usual that children’s services will still wish to continue with their investigation.
They will take into account the fact that your partner’s child has made previous and unfounded allegation against other adults in the past. They will also look at all the many positive aspects of your family and will want to make sure that you are able to protect your daughter from any possible risk.

Could children services take your child into care?
On the information that you have given in your post-this seems very unlikely. Your partner was a potential risk to your daughter and he has willingly left the family home while the assessment is being carried out. The social worker is also likely to ask that he does not have unsupervised contact with your daughter until the assessments are completed. She will want to make sure that you are able to protect your daughter.
However, if you want to more information please look at our advice sheet on care proceedings here care proceedings

Please post back if you have any other questions. I hope that your family can get back to normal as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Suzie