Social worker meeting to discus granddaughter going to care

NannyG

Social worker meeting to discus granddaughter going to care

Post by NannyG » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if i am in the right forum, so please bear with me if i am not.

My son and his girl friend had a 3 year turbulent and to say the least volatile relationship and have a 2 year old daughter between them. They have been known to Social Services on and off since the child was a baby. The relationship was one that should never have been, let alone had a child in it, but they were young and irresponsible and so it happened. It has been quite a violent relationship with arguments and emotional abuse which is obviously going to rub off on the child. They finally split up a few months ago and the girlfriend has the child. The child is on the child protection register, there is a Child Protection Plan in place for her and as far as i am aware the core group consist of both parents, the health visitor, and Social worker. The child is now with her mum in the house and my son is staying with a neighbour of mine a couple of doors away.
The mother is not coping on her own with the child, from what i hear she has been given lots of help from Social Services but is still not managing. Apparently she has got herself 2 cats which are messing all over the house and the house is a mess and there are concerns for the child’s welfare.
So to cut a long story short, Social services met last Thursday to discuss taking the child into care and, as i understand, what they would like to see happen for it to be prevented. My son has to meet with the social worker again to be told the outcome of the meeting and to get paperwork on what happened. Both he and the mother have been told to seek legal advice and from what he understands once they have done so there will be another meeting to discuss what they as parents can do to prevent their child being taken into care.
Now this is the bit that confuses me. My son said to day, as far as he understands that if SS want to take the child into care it is for the core group to decide where she goes and if the mother says she wants her child to go to her sister then that's where she will go. I cant see it being that simple myself as surely if SS are taking the child into their care then they will want to be sure she is going to be cared for properly, whether that be with family member or foster carer.
Does anyone here know what does happen in these circumstances? Obviously i would love to be able to foster her and have expressed my interest to SS who took my name and number in case.

Thanks in advance

Nanny G.

mumo4

Re: Social worker meeting to discus granddaughter going to c

Post by mumo4 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi sw can call a meeting, my bf pushed me uptown i couldn't mind anything as i was drunk cctv evidence got him the charge, my parents took my kids for my safety n there's, we went t a sw meeting days later a strategy meeting am sure, sw agreed kids to stay at my parents. So aslong as theyve checked house out police checked the sister and mum says she agrees kid goes there, then sw will agree. Am assuming cause of the violence both her n ur son posed, they wouldn't allow child in ur care, as they'd then need to get supervised contact for your son, to address any risks he or ex posed. Get a solicitor involved as a family meeting should be called to look at all relevant ppl who can offer care for the child. Good luck xx