newborn visits

zambini1

newborn visits

Post by zambini1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:36 pm

what is the likely visitation for a newborn with a violent man?

contact centre?
how often per week?

how long before the visits could be supervised by a family member
will he be allowed at the birth
any advice please

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: newborn visits

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Dear Zambini1,
Welcome to the parents forum and thank you for posting.

I understand that you want to know what will happen about contact between a father (who has a history of violence) and his newborn child. You would also like to know whether he will be allowed to attend the birth of his child.
I also know that some of our parent posters discussed this subject before. Have a look at Josey78's posts on the same thread under the heading “will my partner be allowed to attend the birth of my son” on the 18th July 2013. Posters who replied to her say that the fathers cooperated with the pre birth assessment and were allowed to attend the birth of their child-as long as they complied with certain conditions.

I would re iterate the same advice to you.
I am assuming that children services (social services) are involved with your family. If they have not already done so, they should carry out a pre- birth assessment of your family which will look at the risks that domestic violence will pose to baby. If this assessment has not happened yet-then it is important that you contact children services to discuss an assessment and then to cooperate with the assessment.

Do you have any family or friends who are willing to be assessed by children services to see whether they are safe and protective enough to supervise contact between Dad and baby?

Until any risk assessment is carried out, children services will have to assume that there is very high risk to baby-which may limit the options for Dad attending the birth and also for his contact with baby. However, once a risk assessment has been carried out (with the full cooperation of Dad) then there is a chance that Dad will be able to be at the birth if Mum agrees and that supervised contact should start soon after. Whether this will happen will depend on the assessment. However, cooperating is the first step.I think you are asking the right questions which should also be put to the social worker.

Have a look at our advice sheet about the child protection process.

Please also post back if you have more questions.
Best wishes,
Suzie