family assessment units?????

mummyof2

family assessment units?????

Post by mummyof2 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 am

As it says in my previous post I am currently pregnant and have a 3year old daughter who is in my care. Ss are involved because of the babys dad having children in care. I was never in a relationship with him and my baby was concieved through a one night stand, I have had no contact with this man since and he does not know I'm pregnant. Although the assessment seems to be going ok I have a few questions. If the worst happened and they wanted to remove my children could I ask to be placed in a family assessment unit? And how likely is this to happen? Also my auntie has fostered children for 20years so would ss place my children with her if I asked them to? I mean aren't they supposed to keep families together?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: family assessment units?????

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi Mummyof2

Welcome back.

In addition to the response provided on your other thread, it is good to have a contingency plan, just in case so you can prepare yourself for any other outcomes, resulting from Children's Services involvement, if these become necessary.

You raise an important issue about whether you could have the chance to have your parenting assessed in a mother and baby unit. This is very much dependent on a number of factors, including:-

*what concerns if any are raised in relation to the current assessment of your parenting;
*reasons for your ex partner’s child (ren) being removed from his care;
*your understanding of (or insight) into these (or any other) concerns held;
*how your decision making around relationships could impact on your baby’s safety;
*any issues of neglect, physical, emotional or sexual abuse including domestic abuse, mental health are relevant;
*your willingness to engage with any family support;
*your current support network;

Most significantly, there are cost implications to any assessments that Children’s Services ask for when assessing your parenting. However, in a time of budget cuts, it is unlikely that a resource panel would agree to fund a mother and baby assessment, in the absence of a child protection plan or pre (care) care proceedings agreement. But this is very much dependent on each local authority, and the resources available.

So it would be best to discuss your options with the social worker but only if significant concerns are raised about your parenting, which is so far not being suggested. As a person with parental responsibility, it is up to the Local Authority to engage with you about any concerns, and support needs you may have before taking any action with regard to your unborn child.

In relation to your second point, as part of a parallel planning process, (in the event a decision is made that you are unable to keep your baby safe), Children’s Services have a duty to assess both parents (where relevant), and close relatives (or connected persons) about immediate placements before considering unrelated foster carers.

Just as a backup plan, you may wish to speak to your aunt or anyone else you feel is in a position to help, to see what support (or placements they could offer) for you and the baby, before inviting them to a family group conference.

In the meantime, please continue to cooperate with any assessments undertaken, try to focus on the positives of your parenting, and not to worry too much about your baby being removed, where the evidence does not support this.

But if need be, feel free to post again (for limited support during the festive period) or contact the advice line after 2 January 2013, on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday between 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie

mummyof2

Re: family assessment units?????

Post by mummyof2 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm

So far all I know is that she is doing a core assessment, during this assessment I have asked her a number of times if she has concerns about my parenting, my daughter, my home situation etc and she has said no, I have stated to her that nobody has any concerns about my parenting and the only thing they are concerned about is the babys dad and his past, and as I'm not having contact with him he cannot be a risk. I stated I cannot change the fact he is the father or anything he has done, she agreed with me completely and even admitted there's nothing else I need to do as I'm doing everything I can. So I don't understand why they are putting my family through this? So far she has said they can't say for definite what they will do after the core ass but that they might sign me off with homestart and a caf, but she hasn't said this is 100percent going to happen. I also text her saying as long as I'm not having contact with him and there are no concerns about my parenting then will my lil boy be coming home with me and she sent me a text back saying yes that's correct. I just don't know what to think, the closer it gets to my babys birth the more scared and worried I'm becoming.