Worried

Crazycakelady2018

Worried

Post by Crazycakelady2018 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 am

Quick back story
I was sexually abused from the ages of 3-7 by my biological father and from the ages of 11-17 by my stepfather (he groomed our family after learning about my biological father)
I got married at 18 moved abroad with my husband and for 15 years we lived away from our local town my husband was made redundant from his job so we decided to move back to our local town I bumped into my stepfather and it triggered off flashbacks I decided I wanted to go to the police,
He was arrested and charged various sexual assault of a child and rape fast forward a year and we went to court this was extremely difficult.
I was sectioned a month after the trial as my mental health was so bad I have diagnosis of ptsd depression and anxiety.
I have been voluntaraily back in hospital twice since over the last 12 months the latest being 2 weeks ago.
I dependantly drink to cope with my emotions nightmares and flashbacks.
Since my last suicide attempt (have had at least three serious life threatening attempts) and 3 visits to a and e in the last month
Social services are now doing a section 47 child protection investigation
I’m devastated but I know my older child (17) has seen way too much
I’m so scared they will ask me to leave the family home till I’m sober/mental health under control 😢
My children are thriving in school never late are clean bright lovely children who do many out of school activities all of which I facilitate as my husband works away/long hours,
I wonder if anyone else with mental health or addiction problems have any dealings with social services and what I can expect I have got myself into such a state reading loads of info on the web
If you have got this far thank you Any support of advice is gratefully appreciated

Miserylovescompany2

Re: Worried

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Hello Crazycakelady

I didn't want to read and run - to put your history online must of taken real strength and courage.

To have taken the steps you have already just proves how strong you really are. Every person does have their breaking point and you reached this - to admit there is a problem is the first step to addressing this. You haven't minimised the effect that your MH has had on your children. You won't be the first nor the last to use alcohol as a coping strategy. I guess the plan moving forward would be to keep being open and honest - engage in all the support CS offer and I'd also consider whether you would wish to have your own needs assessed by adult services? This could identify what additional support you need.

Children's services look at the needs of the child(ren) and the impact your MH has had on them. Your 17yo will be able to articulate their own view. I'd imagine there will be concerns about your ongoing MH struggle - but this shouldn't be all that is focussed on. Your support network and how your MH crisis are managed - could your husband stay at home full time until your health is stabilised or could another family member or friend step in and offer support in the home.

Can I ask the age of your other children - because if CS decide on a CIN (child in need) or a CPP (child protection plan) you might wish to pursue advocacy for younger children. So their voices are heard. You haven't reached this point though so I might be getting ahead of myself.

Misery x

PerfectlySafeDad

Post by PerfectlySafeDad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:36 pm

The thing I don't quite get here is:
You're a victim, crazylady, quite clearly and quite tragically (I only say 'quite', because at least you are alive and have bravely managed to make a family life for yourself).
Child abuse offences are such a serious concern for the law and social services precisely because it creates victimhood, of the type you have described in your life.
So, you are one of the victims of what they are working against, yet now - years on, as you seek to recover - they target YOU and your family life, to all intents and purposes you're now labelled a 'could-be' abuser yourself, notwithstanding it is probably only 'emotional harm' they are looking at, or should we say 'possible emotional harm'?
You could be forgiven for descending into bitterness over this; where were these people when your Dad and stepfather were committing their abuses? If they'd done their job, you might not be in this mess now. I expect they were stretched thinly, as always (but it's not an excuse, you were a tiny child needing help), probably devoting a lot of their investigative resources on the plethora of 'might be a possible risk' indecent image cases instead of channelling them into on-the-ground here-and-now scrutiny of family environments such as the one you grew up in. Now, in my view, you are being made a victim of these very same 'prediction of risk by association' strategies, whilst with sad irony they are probably failing to come to the rescue of children out there crying for help right now.
I have to confess your story weighs heavily on me, with you being a living breathing example of a victim that my own offences (indecent image viewing) are said to indirectly create. Yet I also feel the anger I wrestle with every day, in that I was never nor could ever be the father (or step) you describe, but have only ever been a normal gentle loving Dad, nor did I or could I ever bring myself to do in person to any child what was done to you. Are those two men not responsible for what happened to you, and nobody else? They were not 'encouraged' to do it because of other men out there (like me) who might want to see images of it online; they did it because they wanted to, end of story?
I often wonder how actual victims of abuse view IIoC offenders, as opposed to the actual men in their lives who did the deeds? Who do you blame? Who do you want justice against? That, as I see it, is the acid test, because all we ever hear is the authorities and charities' opinion of who is responsible.
I'm truly sorry 'for' your horrible experiences, and if you hold the likes of me responsible then I'm also sorry 'to' you.
In any case, I wish you well in overcoming your issues and consolidating your family and the rest of your life. Unfortunately, I think you are now also 'up against' social services in achieving this, whereas they ought to be a supportive body. On a positive note, however, it looks like you can achieve this. Your strength in going to court, your concern for your children, the evidence they have been doing perfectly well not least your husband (their Dad) in your life, presumably solid and supportive. It's vital that that relationship is demonstrated to be secure, and that he himself is beyond reproach, if they don't already know that.
I too have been sectioned (2, for a month); suicide attempt, stress and stigma of my charges. Obviously I deserve less sympathy, and your attempts were repeated, reflecting the depth of your traumas, but at least I can offer constructive advice here: Stating the obvious perhaps, but by hook or by crook self-harm or even any hint of it has to stop, preferably also the alcohol. For me, the strongest (possibly only) thing that turned my MH around was valuing my kids, their loyalty and love and knowing they will be a happy part of my life forever, that they need me (despite my mess), assuming I don't self-destruct or offend again. Also, I value and enjoy physical health (sport). Can you substitute your alcohol dependency for some healthy or constructive interest? I'm sure it is not so easy, but you have much worth fighting for and you can do it.
The worst social services can do is disrupt your contact and quality of life with them for a time, but you'll get it back and won't ever lose them completely if you do as required. It's just time, rebuilding from your breakdown; you've come this far, the worst is over, you can go further (this is what I told myself). You must follow whatever advice and treatment the medical profession offers (or at least 'be seen to') and present as calmly as possible and with as much insight towards yourself as possible. Earn yourself discharge from all care, and where possible show you are surrounding yourself with good activities, groups and the right friends (defined as stable, responsible and caring in themselves). As you stack things up in your favour, and your kids are shown to be just fine, you can come out of this well. Above all, I'm sure it's just stability they are looking for, and that you are in control of your relationships and emotions.
Thanks for reading, I hope it's some use to
you.

Crazycakelady2018

Post by Crazycakelady2018 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:19 pm

I received a phone call today they want to come see me with my cpn tomorrow,
I already know what it’s about as they told my husband on the phone today they are putting the children on a child protection plan I’m totally gutted and have been reading up all about it.
Can anyone tell me what to expect? My children are 17,14 and 8

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Crazycakelady2018 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 am Quick back story
I was sexually abused from the ages of 3-7 by my biological father and from the ages of 11-17 by my stepfather (he groomed our family after learning about my biological father)
I got married at 18 moved abroad with my husband and for 15 years we lived away from our local town my husband was made redundant from his job so we decided to move back to our local town I bumped into my stepfather and it triggered off flashbacks I decided I wanted to go to the police,
He was arrested and charged various sexual assault of a child and rape fast forward a year and we went to court this was extremely difficult.
I was sectioned a month after the trial as my mental health was so bad I have diagnosis of ptsd depression and anxiety.
I have been voluntaraily back in hospital twice since over the last 12 months the latest being 2 weeks ago.
I dependantly drink to cope with my emotions nightmares and flashbacks.
Since my last suicide attempt (have had at least three serious life threatening attempts) and 3 visits to a and e in the last month
Social services are now doing a section 47 child protection investigation
I’m devastated but I know my older child (17) has seen way too much
I’m so scared they will ask me to leave the family home till I’m sober/mental health under control 😢
My children are thriving in school never late are clean bright lovely children who do many out of school activities all of which I facilitate as my husband works away/long hours,
I wonder if anyone else with mental health or addiction problems have any dealings with social services and what I can expect I have got myself into such a state reading loads of info on the web
If you have got this far thank you Any support of advice is gratefully appreciated
Dear Crazycakelady2018

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the parents’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I apologise that I was not able to respond to your posts before now, due to heavy workload. Other parents were, however, able to offer you some advice and support.

Your post sets out the difficulties you have experienced as a result of the abuse you suffered at the hand of your biological father and subsequently your stepfather. You were able, it seems, to cope for 15 years whilst living away but memories were triggered and you went to the police. This was, of course, the best decision for you at the time although going through a trial must have been very traumatic for you.
As a result of all your abuse you have suffered, your mental health has deteriorated and you have made attempts to end your life on more than one occasion.

Children’s services (new name for social services) became involved because of safeguarding concerns for your 3 children. As you say in your post, your eldest child has seen far too much. This will be a concern for children’s services as the children’s emotional well-being will be a significant issue. Children’s services have decided that they need to carry out child protection enquiries under s.47, as you will now know this is for them to assess the situation and decide if an initial child protection conference is needed to consider whether the children should be on a child protection plan.

In your later post, you confirmed that the decision was to go to a child protection conference. Unfortunately, my response is coming after the conference but I do hope this went well and you and the children will receive the help and support you need.

You questioned whether anyone else with mental health or drug problems have had dealings with children’s services. I think I can answer positively from the posts received on this forum that many parents have children’s services involvement for these reasons. Having said that, your mental health is not a reason in itself that children’s services will be concerned, the issue will be whether you are engaging with mental health services and your condition managed by medication or otherwise. With regard to drugs misuse, children’s services would expect the parent to engage positively with drug and alcohol services with a view to abstaining and this can be managed by regular tests to ensure that the parent/parents are engaged.

As your children may now be on child protection plans, I am including our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures for your information. Child protection procedures.

My advice is that you and your husband should engage positively with the plan doing whatever courses or work you have been requested to do. Failure to cooperate with the plan and work positively with children’s service could lead to further action being taken which could include an application to the court for care orders in respect of your two younger children. I do not want you to feel scared about this but I want to you to understand the importance of engaging with professionals during this process.

I hope you find this helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday

Best wishes

Suzie