not being told anything

John B

not being told anything

Post by John B » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

hiya, can anyone advise me. i'm a dad of 4 kids that are 10, 7, 6 and 4. me and there mum split up a couple of years ago but i still see them and pay csa. yesterday i got a phone call from a social worker who told me that theres a conference about the kids next week but wouldnt tell me anything about it. He said that i wasn't allowed to go because my ex said i used to hit her. he siad he call me after the conference to tell me what happened. i don't think this fair. can they do this.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: not being told anything

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi John

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are currently having.

It sounds like there is a Child protection (CP) conference taking place to decide whether your children should be made subject to a CP plan. To do so, Children Services (CS), would have to show to the conference that they consider that your children have suffered significant harm and are likely to do so in the future. The harm would be as a result of either physical, emotional or sexual abuse or neglect. Please see our advice sheet on child protection.

As a Dad, you should have been consulted and included in the process. I do not know whether you have parental responsibility (PR) for the children but even if you did not, the fact that you are a biological parent means you should have been consulted. The law concerning children (with the exception of some adoption law) talks about “parent” which includes biological father whether or not you have PR. To find out whether you have PR, if you are not sure, and what PR means please look at our advice sheet on parental responsibility.

A CP conference will be chaired by a worker who is separate from the sw team. In exceptional circumstances, the chair of the CP conference can exclude you from a conference and then he or she must put the reasons in writing. You would still be able to see the sw report and be able to put your views to the conference by other means such as in writing. However, often in these circumstances, the chair would try to have both parents at the conference by, for example, having the conference split into two to allow Mum to be in one half and you in the other. Or the chair of the CP conference may want to visit you to find out your views.

What you need to do now is contact the SW and ask for a copy of the report for conference and explain that you want to attend the CP conference. If the sw refuses then ask to speak to the team manager or ask for the Chairs details directly. If you still have difficulty please complain. For more information please see our advice sheet on how to make a complaint.

Please post again or contact our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366 which is open from 9.30 to 3.30 Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie

cheekipixi

Re: not being told anything

Post by cheekipixi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi All,

My situation was completely the opposite, I had to go to a CPC, I wasn't informed why and only saw the report written by the SW IN the conference, you cannot read this properly in there. Just before everyone came in, I was given the list of invitees and my ex-partner was included. I asked the chair who had invited him and why, I was told because he is the father of 1 of my children. I explained that he didnt have PR and had been accused of sexually assaulting my daughter. The chair asked my daughter (who came with me) and me what we would do if he walked in, we both replied together, 'we'd leave', nobody knew if he was there or not or whether he would actually turn up.

I think this was done to shake me before the conference started, SS knew all about the assault to my daughter and the 10yrs of mental abuse to me by him, yet he was invited, funny how school wasn't invited but he was.

Turns out the whole thing was totally illegal anyway but they still got away with it. So it looks like they make the rules up as they go along.

-x-