children services

mva17

children services

Post by mva17 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:50 am

Are children services involved at the same time as a dad is register as a sex offender? 10 days ago my husband went to register himself at the police station sex offender register as the magistrate court told him to do. He is on unconditional bail for possessing images. Since everything started he is living in a different address and he can see the kids supervised by me. But since he went to court i didn't hear anything from cs. he need to go back for sentencing 12th September. Does that means that the cs will be involved after sentence only? do i need to contact them?

Seadog01274

Re: children services

Post by Seadog01274 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 pm

The police should of made a referral to social services but they are so slow at getting in contact. I had to ring them 3 times myself to find out what was going on, was over a week until they came to see me. But yes they will be involved.

Kami2018

Post by Kami2018 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:27 pm

They were absolutely become involved and rightly so ...

mva17

Post by mva17 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 pm

after the sentence or before?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Dear mva17,

Welcome to the Parents board.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties in your family. Your husband has been sentenced and has to register his name on the sex offenders register for 10 years.

When he was first arrested children services carried out an assessment and asked you to agree to supervise contact between your husband and his children which you complied with.
Now he has been convicted, I would expect the police to make a further referral to children services who I assume will want to speak to you about what other assessments are needed and whether his risk to your children has increased. If the social worker does not contact you in the next few weeks I suggest you get in touch with them to let them know about your husband’s conviction.

As other users have advised, children services will expect your children to continue to be protected by you (probably meaning that contact must be supervised ) until they have a better idea of dads risk to your children.

So the social worker will want to know about the support he will access via probation and your views in light of your husbands conviction. They will want to be sure you can still protect your children.

You could ask them what he should do and also what support you and your children might have. DDS has given you a lot of helpful advice about the type of courses that are available might be useful.

The Parents Protect website is also useful.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Kami2018

Post by Kami2018 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Once sentencing has happened or will, happen they will then become back involved and tbh I would expect strict restrictions reguarding your husband and your children as Suzie has says un till they have assessed him on his risk they will have to assume the worse of him and that's very true
I will also like to say I doubt very much that children's services will take kindly to ma registered sex offender to remain in a family home
As I don't no all the circumstances and children's services work different in all boroughs I wouldn't know for sure but k would assume that's how it will be whilst there is young children in the house they will want fomrisk assess him and obviously do a full family assessment

mva17

Post by mva17 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:29 am

yes. i know he dosent live here, he is in a shared house where he rented a room. he visit the children supervised by me at the moment.

DesperateDad

Post by DesperateDad » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

Whilst you would absolutely expect the involvement of CS (to assess risk and put in any measures to safeguard children), just be prepared that they may change their mind over who can supervise his visits. In our case, CS have changed their minds - the fact that the mother refused to say anything damning of the father, was happy for there to be contact and is forgiving in a safe, intelligent way baffled the prejudiced CS and social workers. They’ve done the same with me over my resistance to one particular phrase. They wanted me to state clearly that I believe my partner has (present tense) a sexual interest in children and is a danger to them. I have refused to say this, purely because I don’t think it’s as black and white as this, I don’t believe I should have to sum up my feelings(or his actions) in one black&white sentence, but both parents have always kept the children safe and adhered to Workibg together agreements etc.
Despite this, they escalated to ChildProtection, still insist (& write in reports and assessments) that I fail to recognise my partner as a risk, that I seek to give him access (absolutely untrue), that the mother may not be able to supervise.
It seems they can be punitive and prejudicial andneed very little evidence to make sweeping statements in support of their decisions. All based upon individuals, their decisions, moods on the day....
I wish you luck though and hope it really does work out. I hope you have others too who maybecoukd support in supervising visits.

mva17

Post by mva17 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 am

i can see from every post i read that the only way cs can say a mum is able to supervise his partner with the children is if she admit he is a risk. I can understand it up to a point. but that will mean they wont assess the risk themselves?. i know my husband wont do anything to the kids, in a way i trust him but in another way after all these years is like if i dont know him in a way. i want our family to work out but i also need to be sure that the children are safe, not only because he could do somenthing ( i dont think so) but because i also see other risks. if the people knows he is on the register they can go against us, and the children will suffer. If he does it again, the police will come back and they will suffer again... so i know is not only black and white but lots of things to take into account. Anyone knows if even if the mum is allow to supervise the partner with the kids that will mean they will close the case? will them be there to support if needed?

Foreigner

Post by Foreigner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 am

Even if the mother is allowed to supervise contact this does not mean that they will close the case and it does not mean that this will not change. If you do not accept that he poses a risk to your children however big or small they will be very concerned that you are unable to protect your children and to put their needs above your own. Ideally if the dad has been sentenced they will find a professional to carry out a risk assessment and also a protective ability assessment of you (in case the children services do not feel they are qualified for that) and then you will know what his risk is and what the recommendations for the future are.
Best of luck!