Husband on SOR and social services assessments.

pjt1416

Husband on SOR and social services assessments.

Post by pjt1416 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi. Sorry this is likely to be a long post but I would appreciate any advice from your experiences.
Been with my husband 10 years married 5 and we have 2 daughters (age almost 2 and almost 4).
He was arrested in Oct 2015 in relation to Computer Misuse Act (hacking) anyway after a long investigation he was eventually charged with computer misuse offences including 1 of voyeurism and 1 of indecent images (15 lowest category). I'm not very technical but he basically bought some software which spread a virus and as part of that virus it copied people's data to his comp including pictures which were then discovered by police. He pleaded guilty to all charges and got 3 years custodial sentence, and 10 years on register and 10 year SHPO. It was said in court that he had not intentionally targeted underage people (1 victim was between 15-17) and the judge agreed no restrictions were to be placed on contact with his children (who were 2 and 5 months at the time).
Social did an assessment with me and said there would be no need for involvement whilst he's in prison. They said at the time they felt I was minimalising his offences- which I don't believe I am. I have seen all the prosecution paperwork and presentencing reports etc. They did eventually agree for contact whilst in prison to be approved. So my kids have been visiting him every month and talking to him on the phone most days since Sept last year. He has completed courses inside to address his behaviour and i dont believe he will reoffend.
So.. he is due for release at the end of July and today I had the first visit/assessment with the social worker. I explained to them that we would like him to come back home.. that I don't think he would do anything to hurt his children (I wouldn't have him back if I did) but I accept and understand his offences and understand there's a small risk.
And therefore understand he would not be allowed to have any unsupervised contact. I am confident I can ensure this at all times. We have strong family support too.
They have advised that they will be calling a child in need meeting in a few weeks time which I will go to with my eldest nursery,probation etc.

What should I expect from this meeting?

Has anyone had any positive outcomes from a similar situation where the offender has been allowed home??

Obviously my girls come first and I am more than willing to work with social services to ensure they are safe. They are so young they don't really understand any of this they just want their daddy home (4yo regularly asks when he's coming home). I am aware I am at the beginning of what is likely to be a long and uphill struggle :(

Kami2018

Re: Husband on SOR and social services assessments.

Post by Kami2018 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Personally I think when there are concerns of any forms of sexual offending in any shape or form no matter how small or big that children's services will always take this very serious and I see on here quite often that the perpetrators will often say they downloaded through virus and by accident I don't mean that directly at your situation and I see that u say u will protect ur children no matter what I appalled u for that :) but u have to understand that children's services have to by law protect children when there's any form of risk weather it's very low or not I do wish u the best but I will say to u to work with and comply with children's services people his understand them mostly they have a role to play to protect any child from any risk and harm personally if I was in it shoes no matter how low risk was I would never risk a sex offender of any shape or form around my children the fact he got 3 years custody to means that his offence is very serious ...u never say never people can say they change etc but reality is they have once had a urge towards children to me that's always going to be a concern

pjt1416

Post by pjt1416 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Kami thanks for your reply. I am intending to work with cs and of course I do want what's best for my children. I wish none of this had happened but now have to go forward and do what's best.

Just to clarify he got 3 years total but some of this was for computer hacking. Only a small part was for the voyerism/indecent image charge (6 months). The images were topless selfies.. not that this makes it any better as he still should not have had them on his computer anyway.

I completely understand CS take any sexual offence so seriously .. there would be uproar if they didn't! I just wondered if anyone had any advice about this meeting they are arranging as I have no idea what to expect.. They said it's a child in need meeting and I'm not sure if this means child protection or if it's an earlier stage. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Xx

Bees

Post by Bees » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:16 am

Hi, I wanted to post as we have gone through similar things and I wanted to let you know that I have had a positive relationship with all the professionals involved and we have all worked openly and honestly together. It’s not over yet and we still have work to do but we have made big steps forward in a fairly short space of time. The best advice I can give is to be open, honest and try to be patient, things can feel like they are taking forever but you will get to where you want to be in the end. Good luck x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi ptj 416,

Welcome to the Parent’s Board.

I can see that you have received helpful advice from other users.

You want information about child in need meetings. Here is some information about child in need plans .
The plan would be drawn up at a child in need meeting which will be attended by you and professionals such as the social worker, school and heath visitor.
The plan might include what further assessments might be needed, how dad will be monitored, where dad will live-can it be back in the family home? What type of contact he will be allowed with the girls, who will supervise him-for example whether other family or friends need to be involved in supervision. Whether you and the girls need further support such as self- protection work.
The plan would be reviewed regularly.

I would ask the social worker about timescales. Do they know how long they will be involved for?

Have a look at thetriangle diagram (scroll down) . It sets out how “child in need” relates to other children services interventions such as child protection.

If you haven’t done so already you could look at the Parents Protect website.

I hope this answers your questions but if you need further advice, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie